Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Featherweight dream is now a nightmare >

My Featherweight dream is now a nightmare

My Featherweight dream is now a nightmare

Old 08-09-2010, 04:49 AM

A week ago I posted how my machine had not been shipped out to me from the seller on EBay. Well I finally received it, took it out of the case and it wouldn't sew. At first the needle wouldn't move, but after a phone call to the seller and his telling me to "take out the needle" and tighten up the clutch, it began to at least move.

Yesterday was the first time I've actually had time to sit and sew. Guess what, it won't sew. Oh the needle goes up and down fine but no stitches even after threading and unthreading the machine 100 times, using the bobbin that came with it, threading a new bobbin, etc. nothing.

I've written to the seller but I notice on his website that it says "all sales final". Has anyone had this type of experience before? Other then leaving a negative comment on the feedback, is there a way to send this back and retrieve the $300 that I dropped on this.

Any suggestions are welcomed. My DH is beyond furious. :|
Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Oh, NO!!!!!!!!! I really have never bought anything from ebay, since I have no credit card and no pay pal,so no advice, but I really hope she will take it back or something!!!
If she WONT, you could send it to our Billy here to have it fixed.....but I know you dont want to pay MORE money! UGH!
Old 08-09-2010, 05:01 AM

Spending more money is not possible. I maxed out on this.

I've bought tons of things through EBay and PayPal and this is my first negative experience, figures it would be the most expensive.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 AM
JJs
Banned

the number one reason a fw won't make a stitch is because it is threaded wrong....

http://www.april1930s.com/html/upper_threading.html

http://sewingneedlework.suite101.com...sewing_machine

the other reason is the needle is set in wrong:

"The Singer Featherweight will NOT sew unless the needle is installed correctly. The problem is that the needle is installed on the Featherweight differently than almost all other machines. How do you remember the correct installation? There is a simple visual for you right on the machine! Look at the needle plate. Notice how it is shaped like a capital 'D'. This is EXACTLY how the needle is shaped at the top (end that goes in to be clamped). Make the flat sides match. Now you will be able to remember and 'see' how to do it every time you have to replace your needle! "
copied from:
http://www.novamontgomery.com/singer...-the-month.htm
Old 08-09-2010, 05:15 AM

Roberta, I really hate this for you. Can you check to see if the needle is bent? If so do you have a new needle to put in? I would also take out the bobbin case and lower the needle to the lowest position while looking into the area where the bobbin case belongs. You should be able to see all of the eye of the needle while it is in the lowest position. But no more - no needle above the eye should be showing. If you can't see all of the needle eye, you will need to lower the needle position. On a featherweight I don't know how to do this, but you might be able to find a link on the internet to show how to time a sewing machine. Wish I could be of more help.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 AM

sorry you're having a tough time with it.

Have you printed off a manual and followed it. Have someone else go over it with you...even if they don't sew.

Needle's threaded - right to left not left to right.

Bobbin's Case on left - thread coming to you - put in case - thread comes to you and then goes back. It should fit snug in the grove thing.

check websites for which way the flat side of the needle gets put into the needle holder.
I think the cheat is *NFL* needle flatside left....

I'll bet it's something simple. For $300 I'd keep working on it. If after researching and trying, I'd look into Ebay and PayPal's policies about getting your money back....did the ebay ad say it worked?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:18 AM

I sent you a PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:19 AM

You can open up a dispute. If the seller said it works, and it doesn't, you will win the dispute.

I buy a ton of stuff on ebay, too, and I've had things not work twice.Go figure both were from Hong Kong. I've quit buying from overseas, though electronics are SO much cheaper there.

Anyway, both happily refunded my money or sent a replacement. They know if you open up a dispute that you will win on something not working.

If you can, make a video of it. The more evidence you have to present, the more likely you are to win a dispute.....but, most will give your money back the minute you open a dispute.

I would try directly asking him for a refund(they pay return shipping), and if he says no, then tell him you are opening a dispute.

You did pay with paypal, right?
Old 08-09-2010, 05:21 AM

If all of the above doesn't work...........

It actually sounds like a bobbin case problem. Does it snap in and seem to fit right? I would take the bobbin case somewhere and check to see if it is the correct one. I'll try and find a pic of one and send you the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Singer-Bobbin-.../dp/B003AJUNJ6

There is also a yahoo groups for featherweight owners. If you join (its free) you can post questions and read other posts to find answers to other questions.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/featherweight/
Old 08-09-2010, 05:23 AM

yes just went through this on ebay.........file complaint, ask for full refund, if machine doesnt work say on there not as advertised because im sure they said it worked. notify seller, tell them u will return item (even if they say not too...keep record of ups or fed ex, i used fed ex.) they will try to work it out with seller first but u wil get refund just takes a while. dont give up and let them get away with it.Pack in original packing and keep receipt, give ebay tracking number. will get original price of item and original shipping. not shippig to return, sorry.