Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying a quile

Quote Originally Posted by mysippycup2
    I will be watching this thread because I am wondering about tying a quilt also.
    I too signed up for Joanns and just realized they were going to my spam folder. I have yet to recieve anything in the mail. The girl at Joanns told me to sign up again at the store without an email address.
    I never signed up at the store but like I just said buy something on line I get both coupons on line and sale book in the mail

Size doesn't matter on tying, I've tied as big as an oversized king. I personally prefer embroidery floss, some people use yarn, crochet thread, ribbon, etc. I personally like to tie approximately every 4", then I go in between the 4" and offset it 2", if that makes any sense to you, but this is just my own personal thing, I've seen tied quilts as far apart as 10" or maybe more.

As far as Joann's goes, it sometimes will take 3 or 4 months to get your fliers and e-mails notices started.

I've tied up to a full size quilt. Usually use emb. floss. I'll use an index card or the cardboard from a fat quarter as my quide.

I have either used floss or cotton crochet thread.

Blog Entries
    I had good success with perle cotton.

can tie any size quilt I remember going to my grandmas house
    and sleeping under her warm thick quilts, blocks cut from worn out clothes and then sewn together. Hers were tied with yarn and floss. Probably based on what she had on hand at the time.

I am making memory quilts from my Mom's polyester pants and I am using crochet thread to tie them. I use square knots so they won't come untied.

I like a heavier crochet thread or pearl cotton. I don't much like yarn since it never looks as good after a washing.
    I haven't tied anything but baby quilts but would not be afraid to do any size as long as it is close enough together.

Blog Entries
    When I was a member of the quilt guild in Oregon, we tied community quilts with crochet thread. Looked very nice and washed well. We tied with a surgeon's knot (look up on internet as it's too hard to describe).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patched
    I am planning on using pearle cotton at the corners of each block which are 9.5 inches. There is no batting, we are using fleece on the backing.
    If I tie a quilt, I always use Perle cotton thread. I tie with five per block if it is a 12" block - one at each corner and one dead center. Also, I use a color that matches the block and if it is a print with a white background I use the white Perle cotton. You could also shadow quilt which I have done with the Perle cotton - then I don't tie it. Whatever you like works good! Hey, My Quilt, My Rules! Edie

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast