Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying a quile

Blog Entries
    most of the quilts my little sewing group ties are tied with perle cotton. and we have tied king sized quilts on down to baby quilts. the size of the quilt has nothing to do with the tying process. the batting is the important factor. you have to make sure the batting you purchase says on the package (good for tyed quilts) or ones with scrim that you can quilt upto 10" apart (but the ties should be about 4" apart in all directions...that means wherever you place your fist there should be a tie...top/bottom/side to side.

Quote Originally Posted by Patched
    I want to know what you use to tie a quilt, embroidery floss, yarn or what. Also how big is to big to tie a quilt, is 73 x 92 to big to tie or what is the biggest size. Also I have signed up twice at JoAnn's and still have not received any thing on the computer or in the mail. No coupons, no newsletters or no fliers in the mail. What do I need to do? Thank you all for your help with my questions, but most of all thank you for sharing all of your projects and all of the helpful advice. I also like the fact that you treat everyone alike, that no question is to dumb. Thanks, again.

Blog Entries
    I forgot when I posted earlier that this is a thread about tying a quilt...lol.
    Anyway I've used decorative stitches to tack quilt layers all over instead of tying since I don't like having the tails of yarn or embroidery thread sticking up all over.

We tie quilts at our church for charity and use yarn 99% of the time, prefer sport weight acrylic because it is easier to thread the needle and get through all the thicknesses. We have used pearl cotton for special orders so the thread matches the quilt top. With today's bonded batting, it is not necessary to tie every 4 inches, we go for 6 to 8 and when we have a top made of 10 inche squares, one in the center is enough. Batts are now made so you don't have to hand quilt so close as before or tie so much. I have been using quilts tied 6 or more inches apart for years, washed them and have never had any trouble with fuzzing or breaking.

Remember to use wool yarn for a quilt with a wool batt inside and don't put it in the dryer, can be washed on a gentle cycle but needs to be hung out or laid out to dry.

Carol J.

I personally do not care for the look of yarn ties on quilts. I tie most of mine - large lap size - with 6 strands of DMC embroidery floss. Have begun matching the yarn color to the block(s), and you do not even notice the ties. Will have multiple color stitches showing on the back, but that does not bother me or anyone else. These are not going to be judged - just snuggled under. Another good choice is pearl cotton strands.

Blog Entries
    I have tied many quilts. And have used many different items to tie with. For infant quilts I use Embroidery Floss. Fray the end before washing and make sure ties are made in such a way that they are secure.

I once made a crib quilt for my granddaughter. My daughter proceeded to attempt to take out the ties with no success. She thought the baby could pull them out and put them into her mouth.

I have used yarn, ribbon, cotton string, crochet thread (not happy with that too sharp, cuts fibres of fabric) and for fun, very short shoelaces. To use shoe laces, make two holes with an ice pick or something that will make enough of an indentation to let the tie of the lace go through. Happy tying!

I use three strands of embrodery thread, some times matching (so it disappears) and some times contrasting. I like my "tails" to be on the short side, so I snip them at about the width of my thumb. I really don't care for the ones that are tied with "long dangly worms" left hanging on them. The number of ties depends on what kind of batting I have used.

I tied all sizes until I got my Fun quilter. I used emb. floss, not yarn. Yarn tends to come untied easier. Yarn is definately not recommended for baby quilts - babies play with it and it does come untied, and of course goes right into the mouth.

Whoa!! I think I may haveheard something I need to know more about...fleece for batting? Would this work as batting for a table cloth> If not, do you have any suggestions for tablecloth innards! Ginny

Blog Entries
    I use pearl cotton thread usually size eight, but you can use any size you like. You need only one strand and they stay tied.

Judy in Michigan

I am in the process of tying an oversized queen size. I am using cotton crochet thread on this one, but usually use embrodery floss, (all 6 strands) and change colors to match the fabric color. (my quilts are mostly scrappy) That way, you can hardly see the tyes. I used yarn years ago, but don't care so much for it. Haven't tried pearl cotton, but suppose it would be much like the cotton crochet. I just happened to have this on hand, and didn't want to go shopping :) The pattern of the quilt determines how far apart I tie. The one I am doing now is about every 2 inches. Like said in earlier posts, be sure to read instructions on batting package.

community benefactor Parrothead's Avatar
    Perle Cotton, Size 3 works best. Also crochet thread. If you want to use yarn, use cotton yarn as it does fuzz as much.

I have a queen sized quilt that I tied years ago but never did get it bound. I used a perle cotton on it. This was before I ever thought to have anything machine quilted by someone and I wasn't going to hand quilt it because it is foundation pieced on muslin.

Now that I have my own long arm, I am going to put it into the frame and quilt it, just need to snip the yarn. Haven't decided if I will do that before or after. Might be really easy to just load it as is and take out the ties as I go.

Blog Entries
    Depending on what kind of quilt I a doing I use yarn or embroidery floss. For large quilts that will be used a lot and such use yarn for bay quilts and ones that you want to look a bit more glamorous use floss.

Blog Entries
    I used pearl cotton, I liked it, looked nice and held up pretty good. I think any size is okay.

I use pearl cotton or embroidery thread. I always tie baby quilts and some twin and lap size. Haven't tied a large quilt yet, but I have seen some tied and they work out just fine.

I use crochet thread and dont forget to do square knots. You tie one way and then the opposite way. It helps to keep it tighter.

community benefactor
    I use Knot-Cro-Sheen to tie quilts up to King size. Generally I plan the size of my quilt squares so that I can tie every 5 - 6 inches. Haven't had any problems with this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patched
    I want to know what you use to tie a quilt, embroidery floss, yarn or what. Also how big is to big to tie a quilt, is 73 x 92 to big to tie or what is the biggest size. Also I have signed up twice at JoAnn's and still have not received any thing on the computer or in the mail. No coupons, no newsletters or no fliers in the mail. What do I need to do? Thank you all for your help with my questions, but most of all thank you for sharing all of your projects and all of the helpful advice. I also like the fact that you treat everyone alike, that no question is to dumb. Thanks, again.
    I had the same problem with JoAnn's, but when I asked at the store, they said they were notoriously slow. Mine came after three months from when I signed up. The gals did let me use the coupons anyway, when I asked.

I haven't had very good success with tying quilts. I found that if I tried to wash the items, even by hand, the batting invariably shifted. I had used a good batting that was not supposed to need close quilting.

I've only tied one quilt. The backing was fleece, so I just whip-stitched where the sashing on the front crossed. Then I sewed 1/4" satin ribbons on and tied them, sewed them so they would stay tied, and fraychecked the ends. OK, a little too much?

I also saw a pic of someone who sewed buttons every 6" - used plain sheets or fabric or whatever, with a high loft batting, and the buttons were buttons her grandkids have played with for years. Pretty neat, I thought!

I want to thank everyone for the response to my quilt tying question. I have tied many quilts, but baby or lap size, nothing over 60 x 72, so was not sure since this is bigger. This is a picture quilt with fleece backing so can't do all square middles, but can do some. My plan was to do at each corner and in the middle of the blank squares with pearle cotton. Have never used pearle cotton always used yarn or embroidery floss, but don't especially like the look of yarn after it is washed and didn't think floss was strong enough even using 6 strands. Also thanks to all who responded to the JoAnn question. Guess I'll try not to be so anxious.

I am currently working on an ex large queen quilt. All the quilts I have made, have been tied, Can't afford a quilting machine.
    I use crochet cotton, can get many different colors, to match/or accent your quilt

I use a surgeon knot.
    I cut the threads, shorter on a baby quilt and longer on any other.
    Does not matter the size of the quilt. I guess you might say, how much time do you wish to spend tying. I don't mind, a little here, a little there and it get's tied

I use full strand of emb. floss or the twisted kind. Queen size we did for sis.....just pay attention on the batt package as to how close the ties need to be. Better too many than too few.

Also would like to add that when I tie with emb. floss I always take an extra stitch before tying the thread.....thread down, up and then down and up again........then tie with square knot.

Quote Originally Posted by mysippycup2
    I will be watching this thread because I am wondering about tying a quilt also.
    I too signed up for Joanns and just realized they were going to my spam folder. I have yet to recieve anything in the mail. The girl at Joanns told me to sign up again at the store without an email address.
    You can go into your spam folder and retrieve the emails that are there. Move what you want to your inbox - if you click on the "plus block logo" at the end of the senders email address, it will add them to your contacts, so you will get any new emails they send in the future

I saw on one of the quilting videos to use either 3-strand embroidery floss or DMC Pearl Cotton.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast