Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: U.B.E.'s

Red face U.B.E.'s

I know I'm not the only one who has amassed some single quilt blocks - the ones that just don't quite work so you set it aside because God Forbid we throw anything out!

I did a jelly roll race quilt, and decided I didn't like the colors chosen, or the way they fell together, and hated it so much I just folded it and put it away, thinking that maybe perhaps someday (yeah, right), I would cut it in half and have 2 donation baby quilts.

However, I've instead decided to take all of my homeless blocks and combine them into one big Ugliest Blanket Ever (called UBE, which rhymes with ruby).

I have 2 projects to finish before beginning on this, and as I type, I just remembered 2 more projects in the queue (every time my Pastor mentions to take care of the Man of God first, I always remember his quilt that's not even done yet after 2 years...

So I don't know when my UBE will become the truly ugliest blanket ever, but am I the only one with this idea? What do you do with your unpurposed blocks?
    She looks for wool and flax And works with her hands in delight.

Blog Entries
    When I make a block I don't care for I put in the orphan block bin. When I need a fast utility quilt, I sash the blocks with a solid color. I always think the quilt looks pretty good when I'm done.
    Got fabric?

Our guild made a car cover (actually a van cover) with leftover blocks. Quilted cars

I throw them away, along with small scraps of fabric, and empty spools and other sewing stuff.

I have a whole sack full of UBE's. Was just looking at them this weekend wondering what I could do with them...guess it could be a "sampler" quilt...LOL ...

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    I know I'm not the only one who has amassed some single quilt blocks - the ones that just don't quite work so you set it aside because God Forbid we throw anything out!

I did a jelly roll race quilt, and decided I didn't like the colors chosen, or the way they fell together, and hated it so much I just folded it and put it away, thinking that maybe perhaps someday (yeah, right), I would cut it in half and have 2 donation baby quilts.

However, I've instead decided to take all of my homeless blocks and combine them into one big Ugliest Blanket Ever (called UBE, which rhymes with ruby).

I have 2 projects to finish before beginning on this, and as I type, I just remembered 2 more projects in the queue (every time my Pastor mentions to take care of the Man of God first, I always remember his quilt that's not even done yet after 2 years...

So I don't know when my UBE will become the truly ugliest blanket ever, but am I the only one with this idea? What do you do with your unpurposed blocks?
    Yep. That's what I'm doing with my QAYG quilt. You will see half of a star block, many halves of bento boxes, various 9 patches, some paper piecing practicing (I couldn't throw them away--horrors!) and some various leftover blocks (like the patriotic baskets). I decided to just add fabric around them to make them about 16" square and then trim them wonky. It's not particularly pretty, but it will be just as warm and while not PRETTY, it's "INTERESTING". It would have been esp. interesting if I had done interesting quilting. But I'm just getting to that....in my skills set.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Blog Entries
    Wow very interesting. I guess I know what to do with all the blocks I have piled up now. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Our guild made a car cover (actually a van cover) with leftover blocks. Quilted cars
    That is so cute!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

I think your quilt looks really great!

Quote Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
    Yep. That's what I'm doing with my QAYG quilt. You will see half of a star block, many halves of bento boxes, various 9 patches, some paper piecing practicing (I couldn't throw them away--horrors!) and some various leftover blocks (like the patriotic baskets). I decided to just add fabric around them to make them about 16" square and then trim them wonky. It's not particularly pretty, but it will be just as warm and while not PRETTY, it's "INTERESTING". It would have been esp. interesting if I had done interesting quilting. But I'm just getting to that....in my skills set.
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

Blog Entries
    I would try and see if you can locate a copy of "Setting Solutions" by Sharyn Craig.
    This is one of my favorites. It has innovative ways of setting a bunch of disparate blocks to make it look like that's what you planned all along. It also has ideas on setting blocks that didn't all turn out the same size, such as thoseyou may have received in a block exchange.

http://www.amazon.com/Setting-Soluti...s=sharyn+craig
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast