Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: UGG! I am so mad at myself!!!

I am about 3/4 done with my mother's quilt. I tried to do everything right by washing and ironing all my fabrics... Well, as I was doing my quilting stitches, I noticed that the backing, which is a burgandy color, was leaving a pinkish tint on my sewing machine... I washed the darn thing and it's still doing that. I think that if I wash the quilt after i'm done that it will leave pink on some of the light patches...What can I do? should I have it steam cleaned at the cleaners? Should I just leave it, hoping that it doesn't leave a residue just by using it as a throw? I know now that I should have washed it more times... I get that now so please don't beat a dead horse.. I just need your advise now..... but what do I do now, if anything?? I thought about taking a wet cloth and just lightly rubbing it til it's no longer coming off pink. has anyone had this problem? What did you do? :cry:

Finish it, wash it in cold water using a Bounce Color Catcher cloth.....it should be okay.

Ouch! That has to be worrisome!

How about if you complete the quilt, then wash it and have monochromatic colors. Not what you were aiming to do, but when you get a lemon, make lemonade. ???

I had that happen to me with bright green backing on a table runner. After I finished quilting and binding the runner I washed it with several color catchers. Believe me the water was kelly green but the none of the dye was left on the white areas of the runner top. Wish you the same luck, May in Jersey

Blog Entries
    buy a product called Retayne. and wash it with your quilt I think that helps set your colors..that way they don't bleed.

Banned
    I have heard that you can set the colors with salt and cold water but never tried it.........maybe others have.

I prewash with white vinegar added and it always sets the colors with no bleeding...no vinegar odor either. This also works with stuffed toys.

I agree with the comment about the color catchers.

I love them and they are worth every penny. We get them for about 4 bucks a box or so. I've made two samplers with very rich greens and purples. The green blender for the backing particularly bled. It was prewashed and pressed. But as I quilted it, it was turning my fingertips green. I washed with color catchers and the white is WHITE and all the light colors retained their pretty hues too. I think anyone who makes quilts or clothes should use them. Also handy in a state like Nebraska as we wear Red to support our football team on the weekends. Keeps the red red and the white white. LOVE THEM!

Where do you get color catchers? Can I get them at Kroger or Walmart? Is this found in the detergent isles or is this an as seen on tv item?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast