Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UGG! I am so mad at myself!!! >

UGG! I am so mad at myself!!!

UGG! I am so mad at myself!!!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:14 AM

I have red fabric to bleed onto a quilt recently and found that spraying the pieces where the dye ran onto with Shout with Resolve and rubbing it in with your finger tips and washing it with Shout Color Catching Cloths helped remove all the red from the quilt. I had to do it twice but it worked. Don't dry it between attempts. I now use a color cloths in every wash - they are good for several washes and are well worth the money to save a quilt or a piece of clothing or two.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:35 AM

Another point about bleeding...the quilt usually only bleeds when the fabric is wet, so when you are washing a quilt, or rinsing it, get it out of the washer immediately and get it dry. I usually do put mine in a dryer on a low setting and check it about every 10 minutes. When the quilt is about 80% dry, i remove it from the dryer. If there are any "questionable" fabrics, that I suspect are unstable, then I take my hair dryer and make sure every part surrounding that fabric (including the backing of the quilt) are completely dry.
I know there are some that will say putting a quilt in a dryer is a no-no, but my experience has led me down a different path. drying in the dryer gives me good results and air drying has led to problems with bleeding.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
Another point about bleeding...the quilt usually only bleeds when the fabric is wet, so when you are washing a quilt, or rinsing it, get it out of the washer immediately and get it dry. I usually do put mine in a dryer on a low setting and check it about every 10 minutes. When the quilt is about 80% dry, i remove it from the dryer. If there are any "questionable" fabrics, that I suspect are unstable, then I take my hair dryer and make sure every part surrounding that fabric (including the backing of the quilt) are completely dry.
I know there are some that will say putting a quilt in a dryer is a no-no, but my experience has led me down a different path. drying in the dryer gives me good results and air drying has led to problems with bleeding.
Overall, I agree with you if the quilt is in good condition to begin with.

A fragile piece should be handled differently -

Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 PM

I am not sure what you can do about this project but RED in any shade is my favorite color and I ALWAYS set the color in by soaking the fabric in vinegar overnight . It is something my grandmother taught me and I haven't had the bleed problem. I have even been known to "set" my red embroidery thread the same way. GOOD LUCK! :thumbup:
Old 11-18-2009, 12:33 AM

You also can get them at Hancock's with a 50% off coupon when they have them. I make many trips with the neighbors coupons.

Peg-TX
Innova 18"
Old 11-18-2009, 02:53 AM
k3n
Power Poster

This won't help you now but when I prewash dark fabrics, I toss a piece of white muslin in the machine with them - if it stays white, you know you're OK otherwise I do the white vinegar thing and then wash again with a new piece of white muslin to check. Hope it works out OK. :D
Old 11-18-2009, 07:09 AM

your picture is beautiful-------------just thought i would let u know
Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 PM

i always use retayne. i get it at dharma trading company. a little goes a long way. i think it works better than the color sheets. all the color catchers work the same way: they capture the loose dye.....hmmm... molecules? bits? in the water and allow them to be rinsed away. if you think you need something really stronger, then you can use synthropol, which is a color setter. this company sells both. they supply dye, dye removers and other chemicals related to dyes. the quality is very professional and can be trusted if you follow the directions.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1137-AA.shtml