Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Fabric Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    this was done from a swap with fabric sent to everyone participating. I won all the blocks. My granddtr now has it.
    Nativetexan, l like that quilt.

Great idea, QuiltnLady1. I actually have that pattern. I could also cut the squares into 2" pieces so that they are smaller.

You all have great ideas. I am thinking about a scrappy rail fence quilt with the strips cut narrow, or a scrappy jelly roll race quilt. I need to make something quick as I work full time and quilt for customers.

Remember....I think it was Bonnie Hunter who said there's no such thing as ugly fabric -- you just haven't cut the pieces small enough....or something along that line. But my guild had a similar thing with just on fq, and that fabric was so bad I don't think I could have shredded it and made it ok! 🙊

And I would have thought that piece was beautiful!
    Quote Originally Posted by osewme View Post
    Does it have to be a quilt that is made? I had what I thought was an ugly piece of fabric & I made a rope bowl from it. The bowl didn't look anything like the unfinished piece of fabric. I was very pleased with it. The bowl is made from cotton clothes line rope.

Blog Entries
    I was in a regular FQ swap once and thought I had the ugliest fabric in the group. I was so disappointed. But once I cut the FQs up I was surprised at what I could do with them. I made a patch-work tote with HSQ in the mix. It wasn't for me, but the lady I gave it to just loved it.

So even if you your finished throw to your liking, you can always gift it. Good luck and have fun!

I put this challenge to myself a while back and used my ugliest fabrics (mostly from garage sale grab bags, so I never would have bought them myself) to make a strip quilt. It turned out gorgeous! Everyone who sees it says that the individual strips are indeed ugly, but seen as a whole it's a lovely quilt. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

ArtsyOne, was your strip quilt like the Jelly Roll Race?

I just b ought the 6 1/2" and the 4 1/2" Tumbler dies for my Accuquilt GO. I think I am going to use the 4 1/2" Tumbler die to make the quilt and put a bunch of other fabrics with it. It seems that I like every scrappy tumbler quilt that I see on Pinterest. And I will be able to cut the fabrics quickly.

if you do a small pineapple with a Creative grid template they are charming with scrappy fabric and look like you did a lot of work. I'm making one today with a friend that didn't want to take the class alone- when I looked at a utube video I was
    pleasantly surprised!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast