Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
UK quilters - where do you buy fabric? >

UK quilters - where do you buy fabric?

UK quilters - where do you buy fabric?

Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I was hoping that fabric in the UK would be less than in Germany ... but it's about the same. I will check out all those shops you've posted. THANK YOU!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 AM

This thread does make me feel better about fabric prices here in the states! I bet the European quilters do a lot less stashing than US quilters do.

I've never traveled abroad - if someone from the UK came to the US and then brought home a couple suitcases full of fabric for their own use, would they have to pay some sort of import tax on it?
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I've never traveled abroad - if someone from the UK came to the US and then brought home a couple suitcases full of fabric for their own use, would they have to pay some sort of import tax on it?
Yes. First of all, most airlines only allow one suitcase per person now, even overseas. So you'd have to pay extra for travelling with more than one suitcase (plus hand luggage). There is also a limit for importation, which is probably different in every country. Here, it's about $300. So if you bring home things with a total value over that amount, you have to declare it and pay for it. There are special guidelines for food, alcohol and tobacco as well.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 AM

One of my favorites is Marshall Dry Goods. Here's a link to the shipping costs table: http://www.marshalldrygoods.com/shipping-tables/

I haven't had any experience with overseas shipping, but their service here in the US is great. The fabric is not expensive either.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:48 AM

I can't believe how much cheaper it is in the US! I was having a look at hancock's of paducah and very nearly ordered some, and then I remembered I have no money left after going to the festival of quilts! Will have to wait til next month (or perhaps when I've used the stuff I bought!!) The shipping rates don't seem that bad for international shipping, especially when you have to pay £3.99 to get something shipped from the UK! I wish I had the money to go over the sea and browse youre plentiful shops! We went on holiday when I was 14 but unfortunately I hadn't started quilting yet. I did buy some fabric while there though, as it had Spongebob Squarepants on it!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 AM

UK import tax is payable on purchases over £15.00 and VAT can be charged on top of that, the import tax can be waived if the charge is less than £9.00, if you bring the goods with you into the UK the first £270 can be exempt depending on the nature of the goods.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:32 AM

Greetings from Aberdeen (Scotland)!

I'm afraid there's only one quilt shop in Aberdeen - Seattle Quilt Company, First Floor, Unit 1A, Berryden Retail Park, Berryden Road, Aberdeen AB25 3SA, owned by a lovely lady from......... Seattle! She stocks a lot of flannel and is a Pfaff dealer. There's another one about 15 miles away in a small town called Oldmeldrum, who has some lovely batiks.

I'm afraid the prices here are comparable to Germany, but as we're both in the EU there's no import duty. I buy a lot of fabric from the US and eBay US.

Most retailers will send 8-9 yards in a Priority Mail envelope for $23.95, so even if I buy 'fabric store prices' around $12 AND have to pay import duty, I still save money.

Lady Sew and Sew always has clearance fabric around $13/10 Euro. Just the other day I found a US store that discounts shipping to $18, but can I find it....................... If I do, I'll let you know.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Greetings from Aberdeen (Scotland)!

I'm afraid there's only one quilt shop in Aberdeen - Seattle Quilt Company, First Floor, Unit 1A, Berryden Retail Park, Berryden Road, Aberdeen AB25 3SA, owned by a lovely lady from......... Seattle! She stocks a lot of flannel and is a Pfaff dealer. There's another one about 15 miles away in a small town called Oldmeldrum, who has some lovely batiks.

I'm afraid the prices here are comparable to Germany, but as we're both in the EU there's no import duty. I buy a lot of fabric from the US and eBay US.

Most retailers will send 8-9 yards in a Priority Mail envelope for $23.95, so even if I buy 'fabric store prices' around $12 AND have to pay import duty, I still save money.

Lady Sew and Sew always has clearance fabric around $13/10 Euro. Just the other day I found a US store that discounts shipping to $18, but can I find it....................... If I do, I'll let you know.
Fabric Shack send for half price 18$ each envelope
Old 08-27-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
Fabric Shack send for half price 18$ each envelope
That's the one tron - thank you! Better bookmark it before I forget, lol.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM

Thank you for all the information and tipps, my lovely ladies! Today was a super busy day but I will check out every single website!

@Knitette - Thank you so much for the address of the quilting shop in Aberdeen! I googled it and it's only 15 min walking distance from the hotel where I'll be staying. I will definitely visit - hopefully she has some nice fabric on sale. ��