Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Un-gluing Elmers glue

Un-gluing Elmers glue

I am making some placemats, and like to use a thin batting between the layers, and quilt lightly. I glue basted six mats yesterday, thinking to get up 1st thing this morning to quilt them. Well, I sometimes have trouble sleeping the night thur, so thats when I do my best thinking. I rethought the backing for the mats. Didn't like what I used, so this morning, I tried to gently take the back off...........NO WAY! So, I tried spritzing with a bit of water, but that didn't seem to get it wet enough. Perhaps If I had left it set longer? Anyway, on to my next try. Took a wet wash cloth, (pretty darn wet!) layed it on one half of the mat, folded the other half over and put my large square ruler on it for a bit of weight. After about 10 or 15 min, I could lift the backing off, and the glue stayed on the batt. I ironed the new backing on, and it stuck just fine. Didn't have to re-glue. Have 3 of the mats quilted, and if I hadn't had to stop to do lunch, would be done with the quilting, and on to the binding. (Hubby thinks he has to have lunch everyday.......silly man!) The backs that I removed are not wasted. Have found another fabric to use with them. That is, if I don't wake up in the middle of the night again. Ok, enough rambling..........back to the sewing machine.

Hey! Thanks for sharing....good to know it can be "unglued".....at first I was thinking you might have to wash them but the washcloth worked well. I'll add this to my Elmer's folder!!

this kind of info is very helpful---thank you

thanks for letting us know.

I love using the glue for basting.....but never thought about maybe having to take the backing off. Thanks to your discovery, it'll save a lot of headaches for us in the future.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post
    this kind of info is very helpful---thank you
    ditto from me
    Nancy in western NY