Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
where can we get Elmers glue in England? >

where can we get Elmers glue in England?

where can we get Elmers glue in England?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

I have just been reading the thread about binding and watched the Sharon Schamers you tube video as suggested by some people. I was taken by the idea of using glue to stop everything sliding about but wondered what the equivalent of Elmers school glue is in England. Any English quilters on this board have any ideas. It said Elmers was washable. Is it stuff like Gloy? (Shows how long ago my school days are! lol). And, just in case, has anyone had horrible experiences using glue? Thanks, from an inexperienced quilter who needs all the help she can get!!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:23 AM
Power Poster

Check if the washable PVA glue is something like it. You can also get Pritt and Uhu sticks in washable.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Power Poster

I use Elmers for basting, appliques, and other things. It totally washes out, and I have never had a problem with it.

Some like to use the washable glue sticks, like what scapbookers use too.

As long as these are all water soluble, you can test them on scraps for staining, and to make sure they dry so that they don't gum up your machine's needle :D:D:D
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Power Poster

any water soluble (school glue) product will work, elmers dries clear and does not get hard, it stays pliable. washable glue sticks, any washable glue should be fine
Old 09-17-2010, 10:14 AM

Elmer's School Glue is safe for children. That's what you need to look for. Think about how mums would feel if their children came home with permanent glue on their clothes. And younger children might try to eat the glue. You can test it on scraps to see if will work for you.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Hi Cornish Maid,

You need to go to hobbycrart and get PVA School Glue (their own brand) it is the same as Elmers!

Hugs
Old 09-17-2010, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Cornish Maid
I have just been reading the thread about binding and watched the Sharon Schamers you tube video as suggested by some people. I was taken by the idea of using glue to stop everything sliding about but wondered what the equivalent of Elmers school glue is in England. Any English quilters on this board have any ideas. It said Elmers was washable. Is it stuff like Gloy? (Shows how long ago my school days are! lol). And, just in case, has anyone had horrible experiences using glue? Thanks, from an inexperienced quilter who needs all the help she can get!!
Try Cotton Patch.co.uk. they have various types from 505 spray to temporary tube glue similar to Pritt. I buy almost all my quilting stuff from them, they have a broad range of evcerything you will need, they also offer a very good service.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj
Hi Cornish Maid,

You need to go to hobbycrart and get PVA School Glue (their own brand) it is the same as Elmers!

Hugs
I tried this and it didn't wash out of everything.. not sure why as I only use 100% cotton. Maybe I didn't use the water hot enough.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:39 PM

It's sold on several British websites, so it has to be over there somewhere in person, too! :D Good luck!
Old 09-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

I never found it in the UK anywhere, so I eventually ordered a couple of bottles from Sharon's site. Then someone here on the board asked if someone could make something for them and I voluteered. She wanted to pay me, but I asked for some glue instead. She was more generous than I expected, so I doubt if I will need any more for ages.

It is available on ebay, but shipping adds up a fair bit, that is if you can find a US supplier willing to send overseas.