Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips used for elmers glue

I went to two walmart to find the fine tips you put on elmers glue. Couldn't find them. Asked and they didn't know what I was talking about. Could someone tell me what the package says on the outside. It comes with three plastic tips and three metal tips. If I can tell someone what the package say I can ask at another store or call walmart and ask.

Go to Sharon Schambers website, she sells the tips.

I use tips from bottles that I buy at Hobby Lobby and they work just fine. I think I paid .99 for the bottle with the top. They were in the section with all the fabric paint.

This site has a photo which might help. I did buy this set at my local Joann and found the tip is better than using the glue bottle:

http://www.plaidonline.com/productDe...sp?itemID=2527

Blog Entries
    Where in JA's did you find them? i looked all over, even in the cake decorating section! I just finished putting the binding on using Sharons method..it always turns out great!

I did my first quilt binding yesterday using glue on the corners. LOVED the result!

In the crafts section, near the acrylic paints bottles and other glues. I had a hard time finding them too. I had a friend with me who spotted them. The package is not very large, maybe 4" x 3" and it hangs.

Look for "Folk Art Enamels" at Joanns, they are little bottles of craft paint. Should be in that area, it is considered an "accessory" for the paints.

Blog Entries
    THANKS! Will check it out!

I bought mine from Sharon S. but the lids are too large for my Elmers. What size bottle do you need to buy?

I havent been able to find one either, I have been using a mini school glue bottle and trying to go easy with it. its working for now... but still looking for something smaller...

I think you need the 4 oz bottle. As for the tips, just take the end off of a .5 or .9 mechanical pencil. I removed the orange "cover" from the bottle, and screwed on the pencil tip and it works great. Also, I do thin the glue just a bit with water. Still works the same but comes out much easier.

I couldn't find them anywhere, so I bought a small bottle of Alene's Tacky Glue at Hancock Fabrics, emptied it out, made sure it was clean, then filled it with Elmer's. I used a pin to make the hole in the top.

Blog Entries
    I found mine at Michael's. Sorry, I don't have the package to show you. I keep checking at my Joann's, but never find them. I'm sure they don't carry all of the same items in every store. I've seen them on ebay too, but Michael's was the best deal. Found them in the acrylic paint aisle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt
    I think you need the 4 oz bottle. As for the tips, just take the end off of a .5 or .9 mechanical pencil. I removed the orange "cover" from the bottle, and screwed on the pencil tip and it works great. Also, I do thin the glue just a bit with water. Still works the same but comes out much easier.
    Some one else did that, on a blog or saw it somewhere..forgot about it..i think i will give this a try..now to find the mechanical pencil....

Blog Entries
    These are the ones that I found, they are sold with the little bottles of acrylic paint. The whole package was $4. There are 2 plastic tips and the 3 metal ones screw on the top of the plastic ones. The plastic tips fit on any size bottle of Elmers glue :D:D:D

I have one of each on the glue bottle in the picture. The metal tips screw on firmly and are easier to clean than the long narrow tips that were on the bottle of basting glue that are sold in quilt shops. A sewing pin cleans them out very nicely :wink:

The two largest metal tips work well for glue basting, the smallest one is really too small IMHO

What I use as glue tips for Elmers bottles
    Name:  Attachment-65017.jpe
Views: 273
Size:  46.8 KB

Blog Entries
    What a girl! Pictures and everything! Thanks so much! Now i will know exactly what i am looking for! folkart has a website.Plaid does too..i am going to check with "create for less" on line now.

Blog Entries
    A picture says a thousands words :D:D:D

These tend to sell out quickly, there are so many other uses for them besides painting LOL

I tried to get the part number in there too :wink: for online shoppers.

Michaels carry these too, and other hobby stores that sell these paints.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watterstide
    Quote Originally Posted by crashnquilt

Some one else did that, on a blog or saw it somewhere..forgot about it..i think i will give this a try..now to find the mechanical pencil....

I tried it ~ what a mess!!!

Blog Entries
    Here is a site that will help you locate business's in your area that sell plaid products... I was quite surprised at how many do in my area...even Ace Hardware stores :shock: then you can call around :wink:

http://www.plaidonline.com/retailHome.asp

Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    That happens when using too much glue. Try with a very small line of the Washable Elmer's and you may find that this process works very well. Also, heat set as you go. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
    Quote Originally Posted by katier825
    That happens when using too much glue. Try with a very small line of the Washable Elmer's and you may find that this process works very well. Also, heat set as you go. :)
    exactly, apply lightly in a thin line..and heat set. I sit in my chair and lower the ironing board, and do it while watching tv..

I found my tips at my local art supply store. They look a little different but work just the same and cost is comparable too.
    Heidi

Could you use the elmer's glue to baste a quilt in sections instead of pinning or basting? like adding a touch of glue and ironing? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    I found them today, right where you said they were, in the paint section in Joanns. $3.99, and had a coupon! Thanks so much! i use the glue for all my bindings..this will make it come out lighter and more precise...

Quote Originally Posted by happy sewer
    Could you use the elmer's glue to baste a quilt in sections instead of pinning or basting? like adding a touch of glue and ironing? Thanks.
    Well, maybe, however the 505 spray baste works very well, have you tried that?
    Like this one:

http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...-_TD20276.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast