Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: to use pins or permanent basting spray

Blog Entries

Question to use pins or permanent basting spray

I am debating about how to quilt my first full size quilt top. I have the basting spray, but not a lot of room to work to put layers together. Don't know if I should just find a local quilter to do it for me or try it on my own. Any suggestions? I live in Vegas and if I take it out would like to do so locally.

Blog Entries
    Can't really help you there. I use both the bent safety pins or basting spray. When I don't have enough space, I find a place where I can baste it. Many LQS offer their class space to do that.

I can't send my quilts out to be quilted by someone else because they would not be "my" quilts any longer. So I practice, practice, practice to get better at that FMQ. I wish I could send some out coz I would get more done. So if you feel comfortable with that, good luck. I know that Charisma from the QB is a fabulous quilter. Maybe someone else can point you to a local quilter.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I forgot to post picture first time. Since this is so busy, would you advise to use fairly plain quilting pattern?
    Name:  047.JPG
Views: 1312
Size:  1.52 MB

Blog Entries
    I use Elmer's Glue. Have used it for years. Check out post #51 of this thread. Elmer's for basting...NOT! if you lay yours out on the floor or table, I suggest using a cheap plastic table cloth to protect those things . I used to use my kitchen floor before I got so many critters running around. I've got basting pins, a basting gun, and have done thread basting, but after I did Elmer's for the first time, I never looked back.

Blog Entries
    Do you use just regular white Elmer's glue? And is it permanent after it dries? I would have to use table since I have bad knees and can't crawl around on floor.

Blog Entries
    Look up Sharon schambers utube on sandwiching it may give you an idea. If using glue you need plenty of fresh air.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Quote Originally Posted by glendel1944 View Post
    Do you use just regular white Elmer's glue? And is it permanent after it dries? I would have to use table since I have bad knees and can't crawl around on floor.
    It's the Elmer's school glue which washes out. You wouldn't want to use a permanent glue or spray adhesive.

Quote Originally Posted by glendel1944 View Post
    Do you use just regular white Elmer's glue?
    I would love to know the answer to that as no one was able to answer my question here:

first time w Elmer's glue
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric then sew it back together again? Really?"

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Dalronix, use the Elmer's Washable Glue. It often says "School Glue" on it also. It is white in color, not clear.

I love the 505 basting spray.
    Please become an organ donor
    It really does save lives, my husband is living proof.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast