Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: to use pins or permanent basting spray

Quote Originally Posted by glendel1944 View Post
    Do you use just regular white Elmer's glue? And is it permanent after it dries? I would have to use table since I have bad knees and can't crawl around on floor.
    I covered my dining room table with the pad and then proceeded to use elmers washable glue to do all of the quilt, backing, batting, and top. I did have my husband help me when I had to shift it and smooth it out, but it turned out great. I used the bottle and just put dots instead of pins. For small quilts, I have used my planning wall to do the same thing. Great results, better than pinning. Saves on the knees!
    Lizzy in La.

I use 505 spray basting INSIDE in my basement. Hardly any odor unlike many of the other spray bastng products. I once used a "quilting spray basting" that was SO strong that it was really stinky even out side! I would suggest that you order 505 on line (can not find it locally) and try it- you will really like it. Spray basting is easier, quicker than pinning. Also the quilt sandwich is lighter and easier to work with than using pins that make quilt heavier. Also spray basing really lets yiou flop the quilt around without it moving since the layers are "glued" together.

Since you live where it is hot/warm most of the time you can sandwich you quilt OUTSIDE. Just get a large table and put a large piece of plywood on top and use that to sandwich your top. I love working on quilts outside in the fresh air! (in the shade of course)

Use a longarmer if you can afford it.(personaly I can not afford it). It is hard work to quilt your own large quilts what with stuffing the top thru the machine.
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalronix View Post
    I would love to know the answer to that as no one was able to answer my question here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...ml#post6248015
    The washable school glue, the "clear" means it dries clear but is still washable (washes out)
    https://www.officeworks.com.au/retai...lues/JA0366860

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Check out Katie Amelie on YouTube. It's a really good video on how to baste a large quilt on a small table.

Blog Entries
    Altho you didn't include Sharon Schambler's basting system as an option I will suggest it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA

There are 2 videos...

My design wall is an old flannel backed plastic tablecloth pinned to the wall. If your quilt will fit try pinning the backing, spray with basting spray, smooth over the batting, spray that with basting spray and then smooth over the top. Works really well for me but none of my quilts are that large, maybe 43 x 52.

I still use the bent safety pins for basting. Don't like the spray and haven't tried glue. I agree with the others that said to use a squiggly line or serpentine stitch down the sashings.
    Carol in Michigan

I love the Web Bond spray. It smells less and works great. I found out about at the LQS (Quiltique). I use it when I get to the bottom of my quilt and am floating the top on my LA.

I use basting spray and a 6 foot banquet table in the backyard. This way, I don't have to worry about overspray getting on my carpets and surrounding furniture.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2