Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips >

Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips

Using the Accuquilt Go to cut strips

Old 09-24-2015, 07:22 AM

On Tuesday I bought an Accuquilt, crag's list $200 included the three 2.5" strip and two other dies. I am thrilled, as I age holding the long ruler to make binding and other strips is taxing. I was able to take 3/4 yard of fabric and make all of it into strips in one try. My first so there was more waste than I wanted, so I watched a video and will be less wasteful next time.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:57 PM

I've had my accuquilt for about 2 years now and love it. I have just about all the strip dies as I figured I could stretch my $$$ and use them to cut squares as well. I got most of the strips first and then I started buying the more specialty shapes such as 1/2 square triangles and triangles in a square, etc. The strips dies now have markings on them to cut diamond shapes. So getting the strips really are economical depending on how you use them. I can say that I really enjoy using my accuquilt.
Old 09-25-2015, 04:13 AM

There is a Yahoo group- pinsandneedles1- Kathy sells dies for 20-30% off. You just have to join the group.
I do use mine and find it a great time and hand saver(bad thumbs).
Old 09-25-2015, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by cdr1182 View Post
There is a Yahoo group- pinsandneedles1- Kathy sells dies for 20-30% off. You just have to join the group.
I do use mine and find it a great time and hand saver(bad thumbs).

Hmm, I used to belong to that group for that purpose, but then she said she couldn't do that with the new company rule....has she gone back to selling again?
Old 09-25-2015, 04:30 AM

Mine works great for cutting strips. Fast way to cut a whole bunch of strips. I wonder if the dies wear out? This tool is well worth the money!
Old 09-25-2015, 04:58 AM

II use my GO! to cut strips all the time. I also use it to cut squares. The newer mats have a diagonal line that you can use to cut diamonds also, all with the one die. As a Bonnie Hunter fan, I lay all my scraps on it and cut down my scraps into strips and squares.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 AM

I have the strip die and I found it on Ebay a lot cheaper. I have the Go Baby and use it all the time.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:52 AM

I am not fond of the die cutters for most shapes. I have the Fiskars Fuse machine which can take Accuquilt dies and I can cut squares, rectangles and strips faster and with less waste by using my various rulers and rotary blade. Accuracy doesn't seem to be a problem for me anymore; I seem to have mastered folding the fabric to get nice straight strips, and I rather enjoy the cutting process overall so for those basic shapes I don't even think about using the dies. For strips I have the June Tailor strip ruler and I get fantastic results with that - fast & accurate.

When it comes to shapes like triangles & hexagons I'm about 50/50 - the die cutter is faster but you have to have a die for the size you need. I can cut ANY size with my rulers, but it's slower, especially if I take the time to knock points off of triangles, etc.

But for rag blocks and circles, the die cutter is 100% my go-to. I loathe cutting fabric circles and I will NEVER do another rag quilt without the die!! If that limits my size options, so be it. I will never do all that snipping by hand again, my hand felt like it was going to fall right off!
Old 09-25-2015, 06:46 AM

Accuquilt is the only way for me. Love the accuracy of the strips. I do have several dies and really recommend the Accuquilt. I am not a good cutter so this is the only way I can insure perfect cuts.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:58 AM

I wouldn't use anything else. So fast and accurate. I can't get that kind of accuracy with a rotary cutter