Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Using fleece instead of batting

Excuse my ignorance, but does fleece "pill up"?

tenngal- somewhere in this thread there's mention of pilling; I forget which post #...BUT...the Glacier at Hancock says "Anti-Pill" so with that in mind, I would venture to guess there are ones that do, and ones that don't (and probably all that don't would (I ASSUME) state so on the packaging).

I have used fleece for batting. The quilts that are going to be washed a lot like children's quilts or nursing home throws wash and dry a lot faster.

Why didn't I think of this? Sounds like a great idea for some things. I've used Minkee for the backing on some of my quilts and it's wonderful but never thought to use fleece.

I just found out this last weekend that there is fusible fleece for this reason!
    Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you too can become great. Mark Twain

Blog Entries
    Does anyone worry about the flammability of fleece for baby use? Is all fleece highly flammable?

Quote Originally Posted by tenngal View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but does fleece "pill up"?
    Not all fleece is created equal. Some are not well made and will pill, or create little scratchy balls of fabric on top of the fabric, after just a few washings. But there are some great fleeces out there too, just be sure to buy one that says it is "no pill" and you should be fine. These hold up wonderfully and stay soft and snuggly wash after wash.

Las Vegas, NV - transplanted from Southeastern PA
    Quote Originally Posted by KarynneStorm View Post
    I love the idea of this, and have wondered the same thing. Chalk one up for hitting a random page on the forum and reading the subjects for lots of great information. What a great group of helpful people!
    DITTO! I am making DH a quilt and think I will use fleece backing.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, WINE IN THE OTHER, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"

I use fleece on some of my quilts. So far everyone loves it. I like it, it seems to make up quicker and it turns out really soft. They seem to last just as long as the others I've made. I use flannel and batting on my other quilts so they are soft on the back too. I used to use sheets for backing, I still do if it's flannel.
    Jeanie

What a great question and the answers are so encouraging. I just might have to do this!!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8