Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using some of your fabric stock >

Using some of your fabric stock

Using some of your fabric stock

Old 06-24-2014, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
My guild does "dog and cat cuddles" - if you have fabric to get rid of you can donate it to that group and they'll pass it back out to other members who want to sew cuddles for the local shelters, and they also collect up and donate the cuddles when they're done. If/when I ever get some spare time I plan on making a few out of my stash and donating them too. I think they have an info sheet that outlines dimensions & appropriate materials/manufacturing guidelines but I haven't grabbed one yet.
I've never heard of cuddles, but it is great of your guild to coordinate the effort.

Serita
Old 06-25-2014, 04:55 AM

I read somewhere about making dog beds from recycled fabric and then stuffing them with plastic grocery bags. Just pick up and fluff to renew the airiness. One could make a pillow case type cover so it could be washed also. Don't know if the shelters would iike them but I'm thinking about making one for my favorite weiner dog.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 AM

My shelter does not accept filled beds, just flannel or fleece blankets. However, I was told if I made beds, and they were well made (not sure what that means) I could sell them in their shop! I attend a quilting class weekly and all the other quilters were giving me their scraps, including fleece, flannel and batting, so I guess I have enough to give it a try.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
My guild does "dog and cat cuddles" - if you have fabric to get rid of you can donate it to that group and they'll pass it back out to other members who want to sew cuddles for the local shelters, and they also collect up and donate the cuddles when they're done. If/when I ever get some spare time I plan on making a few out of my stash and donating them too. I think they have an info sheet that outlines dimensions & appropriate materials/manufacturing guidelines but I haven't grabbed one yet.
Would love to have the patterns if you could post them.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Bless you all for helping shelters.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
Bless you all for helping shelters.
I see where Joanns is going to have their muslin on sale June 29 - July 5) for 50 percent off, and then they are doing the military discount of 20 percent off. I hope to get some muslin for the blankets and try to keep the cost down a little.

Serita
Old 06-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful idea...Thanks...
Old 06-26-2014, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
I make pet blankets for the local animal shelter, about 36 inch square. This uses up a lot of fabric quickly, in case some of you are interested in reducing some of your inexpensive fabric stock and helping out your shelter. Serita
You could do this same thing with the fabric and donate it to a nursing home, abused women's shelter, hospital or assisted living center. We just had a project for a women's and children's shelter. We did put batting in them, but I think the batting was donated. We had a huge roll of it, and we all used from the roll.

Humans can always use that sort of thing, also.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Carol34446 View Post
Would love to have the patterns if you could post them.
I just checked the guild's site and they have the sheet posted there. No patterns, just guidelines for what the local shelters/rescue agencies want - hopefully this will be helpful. (Keep in mind, your local shelter/rescue agency's needs may vary!)

Here's the pertinent part of the details:

*A ‘cuddle’ is a quilted pad of a specific size which is given to a cat or dog waiting for adoption at one of a number of Sonoma County animal welfare organizations, such as Forgotten Felines of Sonoma County. The quilted pad becomes the property of the cat or dog, and goes with the animal to her/his new home when adopted, so that something familiar is there in the new environment.
* All materials used should be washable and durable, with nothing that will snag a claw, or tempt a chew-off/swallow like a button.
* Cat or dog related fabrics are fine to use. One agency has specifically asked that one side of a cat cuddle be a solid color, any color, the better to highlight the cat resting on it. The other side can be anything you wish. If you wish to use prints on both sides, that is fine: the cuddle will simply go to a different agency.
* Any type of quilt top can be used: pieced, appliqué, whole cloth.
* Cat cuddles should be 25” x 17” so that they fit within a standard cat carrying cage. Dog cuddles can be larger.
* Cat cuddles can have catnip sprinkled between the batting and the top, if you wish. Catnip filled toys can also be created. (There is no catnip-equivalent for dogs.)

DONATIONS ACCEPTED: If you don’t have time to create a cat or dog cuddle, but wish to help, you may donate cat or dog themed fabric of at least ¼ yard, batting of at least 25” x 17”, catnip, or all cotton thread. Give your donations to the project coordinator at any meeting.
I kind of wish it listed sizes for dog cuddles too, but then I guess dogs come in all sizes so there's probably not just one size they need.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
You could do this same thing with the fabric and donate it to a nursing home, abused women's shelter, hospital or assisted living center. We just had a project for a women's and children's shelter. We did put batting in them, but I think the batting was donated. We had a huge roll of it, and we all used from the roll.

Humans can always use that sort of thing, also.
So true. I am a little pickier about how they look when I donate to the local volunteer organization that distributes to the nursing homes.