Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Using up my stash

Using up my stash

I think I have a problem. I am planning a quilt (pineapple nine patch) - scrappy - in shades of red. And I have collected reds for years so I have lots. But each time I pull a piece for consideration, my first thought is that if I use that piece, then I won't have it anymore. So back in the stash it goes. Hard to make myself use up my stash - does anyone else do this?

I have been guilty of this as well. But have decided that keeping all the misc. small pieces-well, they need to be used! Other beauties will soon take their place! I found it helps to cut strips and put them into my bins, and if need a special size piece, then cut it and set aside with its project.
    Hope you find a solution that works for you!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Instead of thinking that you won't have that piece anymore, think how special the new quilt will be with that piece in it. You aren't losing the fabric at all. You're just letting it live up to its potential.

Dunster, I like the way you think - living up to its potential!

I don't seem to have as much problem with using up small pieces as with discovering after finishing a quilt that there is only a little left of whichever fabric in THAT quilt was my favorite so there's not enough of it for another quilt. Silly, I know!

I can soooo relate to that! My huge under-the-bed box of cat prints is no longer "stash." Now, it's a collection. They make me happy to look at them, so it's all good.
    Fay

Wanted: a job that involves raising cats, riding motorcycles and creating quilts!

I have that problem, but lately have been telling myself; If I use that piece then I'll have a quilt.

I do the same thing and a friend told me to use from my stash ! There always is more fabric in quilt shops !

Same here for the cat fabric. I don't need pillows out of all the fabric. I'm planning a cat quilt, with some kind of custom layout, just haven't tried laying it out.

Blog Entries
    DO IT! There will be more red in the future, better red than you already have, I guarantee. Better to use it now than never use it or see it in a quilt.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast