Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very frustrated with my longarm >

Very frustrated with my longarm

Very frustrated with my longarm

Old 07-17-2015, 09:30 PM

What size needle are you using? You might need to go up a size.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:10 PM

I don't have this model but when either my domestic or juki goes wrong and little changes don't help. I undo everything strip machine back. No thread etc. then I put fabric back on. I re thread with a new needle and bobbin full of thread. Up to now it as worked.
oh full bobbin was after I found one of my machine always played up just before it ran out .
Old 07-18-2015, 01:13 AM
Power Poster

My thoughts are you have your quilt too tight. Make sure it's smooth but not too tight.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

Can you clarify is the machine actually skipping stitches or are you getting an unusually long stitch length in just one area?

You can tell the difference by if there is a needle hole in your "skipped" stitch and needle just isn't picking up the bobbin thread? A true skipped stitch the needle goes down but does not pick up the bobbin thread.

If you are just getting long stitches and no needle hole in the long stitch area it is not true skipped stiche. If in just one area of the rack you definitely have a problem with your stitch regulation and because it is in the same spot I am thinking your rack is out of square or out of level in this area causing the encoder to not "read" your movements properly. Especially if you are getting satisfactory stitch quality everywhere else.

Check every inch of your rack with a steel tape measure and a carpenter's level. Especially between your front and back rails that the machine carriage travels on the entire length of the rack. If you have any variation, even a fraction of an inch anywhere between those rails this could cause the encoders to not read properly. Additionally, if the rack was not initially set up correctly (perfectly square and level) your 5 years of use could have torqued and warped one or more of your rails. Has your machine always glided virtually effortlessly on the rack or do you have to muscle it around? Do you feel pull or drag in one section of the rack? These are both strong indications of the rack being out of square or our of level. Can you put your machine head anywhere on the rack and let it go does it stay put or does it start slowly creeping towards one side or the other or towards the back or front? this is Out of square/level rack.

You need to pinpoint if this is a stitch regulation problem or a needle not picking up the bobbin thread problem. Another test is to put scrap fabric on and run your machine unregulated at varying speeds, concentrate on your area of "latitude". If you get fine stitch quality unregulated then you have a problem with your stitch regulator and 5 years ago is about when TL was having all their problems with electronics. I have heard some people solving the problem by putting weights on the bar that carries the encoders so more pressure is exerted on them as they travel the rails and they don't "miss" spots. Others never solved the problem and I am sorry to also say I have not read good things about the lizzies. Neither customer service nor quality of their SR and electronics.

If these are true skipped stitches, but only happen in one spot I have no advice for you. Usually true skipped stitches will happen anywhere and everywhere and are related to timing and needle bar adjustment. You can try adjusting your needle bar height. That often helps. In my experience the only time I have had a problem with skipped stitches is when I had to reset my timing and I got the needle bar height wrong. You can throw that out of whack by hitting an exceptionally bad area of bulk, a blob of hard glue or hitting a ruler template when doing ruler work. Innova has a you-tube video for how to do it but I don't know if a lizzie is set up the same. You may have to find a local dealer or sewing machine repair guy that you can get the head to if you don't want to try doing it yourself. Hopefully your manual covers it.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:38 AM

To end your frustration you might find a dealer who has long arm experience - preferably Tin Lizzie, but if not another brand and see if they can help you. It might be something in the machine and not something you can fix. And it might be worth a few dollars to end your frustration.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:07 AM

My stitches are skipped because I can see where the needle has gone through the fabric but not stitched. Usually 2 to 5.
I also rolled over the bars to help if there were any low places. It seemed to be working well on my test piece. When I put a quilt on it skipped.
I am at my MIL's house this weekend but will try loosening up the sandwich and see if that helps when I get home.
I know tin lizzie is a low end machine but my husband surprised me with it 5 years ago and I am trying to make it work.
will update on progress.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by glassnquilts View Post
My stitches are skipped because I can see where the needle has gone through the fabric but not stitched. Usually 2 to 5.
I also rolled over the bars to help if there were any low places. It seemed to be working well on my test piece. When I put a quilt on it skipped.
On your test piece was it a sandwich that included backing and batting?

Also are the skipped stitches on the quilt occurring where there is bulk, such as over the seam allowances or where the backing is seamed?

Has it always done this or is this a new problem?

Last edited by feline fanatic; 07-18-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:40 AM

I had skipped stitches when I was using a thinner thread than normal. My manual said for thin thread, bypass the spring on the tension. I did that and it stitched beautifully from then on. It's worth a try.
Old 07-18-2015, 03:29 PM

My sister bought one for me so I went with the Tin Lizzie. Made sure I got a stitch regulator. It has never worked. Yes they were nice. Sent it back twice. Still cant use it. Had all kinds of trouble even with manual. Finally got someone local to look at it and he lowered the foot and works great now but only manual. A shame she paid so much more for stitch regulator an it has never worked. I tried oi tell them the cord to the stitch reg. had a short but they didn't listen . I just gave up. But you may want to try and lower the foot a little. HTH
Old 07-18-2015, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

I also had a Tin Lizzie. Stitch regulation worked for about a year, then it worked occasionally and finally gave up the ghost. Dealer & TL were no help, so I just learned to work with the stitch regulator off. There were many things I liked about the machine, tension was very easy to set & maintain. It would sew with any thread.
As mentioned, make sure the sandwich is not too tight. Make sure the needle is in the right way and inserted all the way in. If it is consistently happening in one or two areas, make sure that the rails are very clean and don't have any dents or gauges in the plastic that the wheels ride on. That was the final straw for me. I could buy new plastic for the rails, but you had to take the entire frame apart to do so. I traded it in on a Handi Quilter.