Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage vs Vintage >

Vintage vs Vintage

Vintage vs Vintage

Old 06-10-2012, 04:33 PM

I collect crystal and also vintage fountain pens, along with my vintage sewing machines. Lots of fun!
Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM

We (my daughter) an I have lots of different collections. She collects woven baskets and really goes for the ones used for picnics. Some she has still have all the contents. She also has a bread box collection. We both have too many sewing machines. We have a glass cabinet for all of our small stuff and it's getting full. We also have vintage furniture that we aquired when DH was in the Navy and we were stationed in Mass. My dining room table is one. We cleaned and re-finished it years ago and we started on the cleaning we took off a sheet of newspaper dated 1926. So I don't know how much older it is from that date. We got some fabulous furniture when in Mass. at very good prices. BTW this was in the mid -70's. I also have a collection of cook books. Some very old Nd some very modern. I especially like to look for cook books about baking bread.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Ah... I see I am not alone! I laughed when I saw horn rim glasses. I pick up a pair whenever I see them for a good price. I also collect vintage sewing patterns, kewpie dolls, vintage notions, and furniture, for the sewing room. Hubby likes a clean, sparse home. Sew... my sewing area is very, ummmm... Me.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcdaniel023 View Post
I love and collect vintage dishes, especially, Jewel Tea and red catail and I have several pieces. We love to go to resale shops, garage sales and antique malls hunting for a treasure. Yesterday we found a doily stretcher from the
50's for a dollar. They thought it was a dart board. LOL!
I would love this!
Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 PM

I have vintage machines and at first I was going to say no, I don't collect other vintage items....then I looked around my house. I seem to have been collecting things for 40 years. I like older wood furniture that was made to last. A lot of what I have, I've had for years...rocking chairs, secretary desk, dining table and chairs, dressers, and a library table. Some of my stuff came from my grandparents and my husband's mother and I picked up things as I needed them. I really don't go out looking for things tha are vintage but many of the vintage items are well made.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kapatt View Post
I have vintage machines and at first I was going to say no, I don't collect other vintage items....then I looked around my house. I seem to have been collecting things for 40 years. I like older wood furniture that was made to last. A lot of what I have, I've had for years...rocking chairs, secretary desk, dining table and chairs, dressers, and a library table. Some of my stuff came from my grandparents and my husband's mother and I picked up things as I needed them. I really don't go out looking for things tha are vintage but many of the vintage items are well made.

exactly...I did not start collecting perse, but buying things that have stood the test of time(use) and have more to give....
Old 06-10-2012, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

Aside from my two vintage machines, our house is full of vintage (including us I guess). I tend to use what I collect....love old furniture, china, vases, bowls. I collect and use vintage fabric, clothes, shoes, sewing items....Anything really. These days I tend to be a bit choosy....I don't want to get to the stage where the collecting morphs into hoarding.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 AM

The biggest collection in the house is DH's antique telephones. He's been collecting for 30 years. There are about 50 of them in the family room and another 200 or so in his basement workshop. I just started collecting sewing machines this time last year. I've got most of the ones I really want so don't have to have too many more, but do still keep my eye out for a great deal. I have 3 pie safes...enough of them, no room for more. I have a big basket of cookie cutters, many from my mom and a few of grandma's. I do add to that collection from time to time. The grandkids like playing with them and we have great sugar cookies at Christmas. We have a lot of older family pieces of furniture and items that we use every day.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 AM

I love what we call antiquing! Just yesterday my sister and I sat down with our atlas and started planning a trip in a couple of weeks. We usually just take a two day trip...meandering down old country highways and stopping at any antique stores along the way. We always travel with our "Quilter's Travel Companion" so we hit all the quilt shops along the way also. I used to collect old sewing machines until space became problematic so now I collect the old salt ware jugs and such. I love pottery. I also look for old sewing, knitting or needlework gadgets. I love tin and ironware and old jars. I just love poking around in antique stores! I can't wait for our trip....I'm ready!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

I only collect sewing machines and only ones to use. DH collects with me but he also collects wood working planes and other wood working tools.