Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage vs Vintage >

Vintage vs Vintage

Vintage vs Vintage

Old 06-11-2012, 04:18 PM

I started by collecting a few Featherweights. That branched into collecting other vintage Singer memorabilia. I have vintage Singer tins, a small model truck and car, several Singer toy sewing machines, Singer measuring tape, Singer buttons, and just acquired a vintage Singer pinking machine. I've also aquired a few of the teapots made in England that look like black Featherweight sewing machines. They each have a quilt under the needle and usually a cat. I have three sizes of those. Anything Singer catches my eye. The one thing that's been elusive is trying to get a vintage Singer thimble!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM

I have a lot ofantique furniture and our bed is about 150 years old with a 6 foot headboard I love it. I just need to find a sofa and chairs altho I do tend to go towards that style if I Buy new!
Old 06-11-2012, 05:02 PM

I started going to farm auctions after my Dad went, I was around 12,13. Then we'd go to old toy shows, Toledo used to have a big one every year.
Then my husband's Grandma dies and we got a lot of her stuff because to the other boys, it was just old stuff
So, old furniture, old dishes, and a room decorated with old toys, many from mine, and my husband's childhood.

I've got stuff packed away for the kids, with the instructions they can do with it whatever they want, I just had to keep it for them.

Everything in 'this old house' has a story:
My husband's Grandma had this high chair, that folded down into a stroller. He said she bought it and refinished it, it was not used in the family
The old cupboard behind it I remember buying at an auction for $80, and my dad and my husband came and got it in the pickup, but it was dropped as they were unloading it. So my husband fixed it, and refinished it. It has ash boards in its back that are 16 inches wide!
The dresser was also his grandma's, and I have a photo of my husband when he was 2 that he was sitting on it holding a Christmas ornament! He said he's going to refinish it in his retirement.
There's a little rolltop desk that was his dad's, and even had a small pair of wire rimmed glasses in it. It's also on the list of 'retirement refinishing' projects There are toys from his Dad, my husband, and my kids in that room. (Can you tell I love that room?)

To keep this quilt related, my husband's grandma had quilts that I intend to hang on for my kids. The other boys just thought they were old blankets, so I rescued them

We've got the American Pickers show on right now. My son has decided I should be on the Hoarders show!
Attached Thumbnails image97.jpg   image98.jpg   image80.jpg   image101.jpg   quiltgrdmabasket.jpg  

Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM

I'm pretty much hooked on vintage sewing machines. I never met a vintage sewing machine I didn't like. lol

I also collect thimbles. I have some vintage ones, but most are souvenirs that I pick up when we travel. They make good souvenirs and they are easy to pack.

Last edited by nstitches4u; 06-11-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:53 PM

My passion is old machines, sewing gadgets and kitchen items. I live in a home that was built in 1941 and my biggest issue during our remodel has been to try to keep it genuine. I have fought DH on trying to update too much. He even made my new kitchen cabinets out of the Wormy Chestnut that was inside all of my walls for it was common to just keep adding on instead of gutting and removing. I settled for sheetrock due to the UGLY paneling that they hide the chestnut under.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:10 PM

Sewing machines, even though I use my modern electronic machines, vintage fabric which I get from my quilt group each time we have a meeting, mid-century furniture sinceour house is of that era. I am starting to divest though.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 PM

Looking around, most of the stuff in my house is vintage! I like the quality and style, and a lot of it was picked up at auctions and garage sales for little to nothing. As far as official collections, I have hammered aluminum pieces, made-in-Japan luster ware (great graphics and colors), and I seem to be picking up the occasional piece of McCoy pottery again (after getting rid of most what I had more than a decade ago). This is in addition to the sewing machines that keep following me home. I know how to cram a house full of dust catchers.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 PM

About 125 pieces of Jadite in 40 years and it all went to DS&DDIL at their marriage. Two pretty decent Hoosier Cabinets and one 'indecent' one. With DH, kerosene lanterns & B&O china & memorabilia. Ceramic planters shaped like vegetables. Yard sale and flea market folk art. Embroidery transfer patterns and old linens.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:47 PM

Love your board.... I was just given one mine is blue Hearthside from Sears.... but it didn't come with the pins. Did you get pins with yours??????? would love to find pins for mine.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 PM

I too have old machines 3 of them.... old dishes - old clothing - furniture. Have a snow cutter highchair. crib and buggy( buggy has glass windows on the sides of the hood) that was used for my mother and her sisters and brothers... these baby items have been used now for 4 generations of babies.