Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt >

Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt

Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt

Old 11-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Maybe somewhere on the quilt you will find initials or a date. Wouldn't that be great! When you are sewing an area, make sure you look at every piece. I love how the sides are finished. I never saw that before. I, too, would recommend you attach to another piece of previously washed fabric, maybe a light pink sheet. That would bring out some of the colors. I love it!
Old 11-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Absolutely stunning quilt. I too love the yo-yo's though I don't have the experience nor patience to make one. enjoy yours and show it off every opportunity you have as it is gorgeous
Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Power Poster

That's a beauty and I swear by Retro Clean- I've used it on some nasty things and it works like magic!! :)
Old 11-28-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I was cleaning out my parent's house after my father passed away this year (mother passed away 3 1/2 years ago) and I found a yo-yo quilt. I promise to post a pic when my camera battery charges (hate it when I grab the camera for a pic and it won't work! lol)

I remember this quilt from when I was younger and my mother showed it to me. She was going to make one herself, but never got further than a tin full of yo-yo's. I'm sure she told me where she got the quilt, but I can't remember. I like to think it's a family heirloom, but can't be 100% certain. She did a lot of yard sale shopping back then.

It is obviously quite old and some of the yo-yo's are coming apart. I want to stitch them back together, but I'm wondering if I should start at one corner and re-do all the stitching - or maybe leave original stitching in and do catch each one with an additional stitch or two? It has that old musty smell also and I'm wondering how to get that out. I thought of putting it in the washer on soak, but I'm afraid the spin cycle will be too rough. I also considered putting it on the dryer rack in the dryer on steam to see if that helps. Anyone with suggestions for handling vintage quilts greatly appreciated!
Put it in the Freezer over night and the smell will be gone the next day. :D
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 AM

I was given a couple of old vintage quilt tops that had a heavy musty smell. I didn't want to wash them before they were quilted, so I spread them outdoors out of the sun, but on warm sunny days. I put them out each day, for a few days, until the musty smell was gone. It worked fine, and I didn't have to run the risk of washing them before they were quilted.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:18 AM

Washing by hand and gently rolling in a blanket or towels to blot are good things to do. Do not apply heat/steam. Might set the smell in the fabric. Airing on a nice day, outside in the shade helps eliminate odors also. Quilt Fan
Old 11-29-2010, 05:22 AM

I made 765 yo-yos. I made a few each night waatching TV. I hope to get the quilt done by April for my daughter's birthday. She is going to be 21.. I guess you can guess what I am doing after the frist of the year. ME
Old 11-29-2010, 05:26 AM

I am in the process of making a yo yo quilt. Long way from completing it, tho. Thanks for sharing this pic. I was wondering how to finish off the edges. I love the way this one is finished!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:33 AM

I have a vintage yo-yo quilt also that I purchased about three years ago. It has just a couple of broken threads, and honestly I've done nothing about them, though I know I should. It hangs from a wall quilt rack in my living room (and I do worry that I'm distorting it by doing that - I do re-fold it a few times a year though). It had just a slight odor when I bought it, so I laid it on my bed at the time, and gave it a light spraying with febreeze.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:20 AM

What a beautiful piece a real treasure