Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt >

Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt

Vintage Yo-Yo Quilt

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 AM

What a beautiful find. I think you should have it repaired and appraised. ;) And just treasure it. Pickle
Old 11-29-2010, 12:21 PM

Oh what a lovely yo yo quilt.
In summer I sent out requests from family and friends so that I can make one using the yo yo maker. Oh how easy that makes the yo yos. I wondered what to so for the sides as the only alternative I had seen until this time was to make xes out of light fabric and finish lining it up with Vs on the side similar to what this look like. As I really want to get started putting it together soon, I will do the sides like your great find. Oh, what a lovely keepsake.
Mine is all sorts of fabrics including darks although I started out with all lights and mediums. What family sent is an assortment of fabrics including holiday fabric.
I want to keep record of some that each sent.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 PM

It is a beautiful yo-yo quilt. I would stitch only where needed, unless you can tell that there are other areas that look weak. I love the way the sides are finished. Lovely piece of work.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:57 PM

HOW LOVELY!!!! i have a yo-yo maker and yes, it does make them easier & faster - still takes a lot of time. can't imagine how long it took for this quilt. Love it!!!!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:32 PM

I agree, do npt wash in the washer or put in the dryer. Hand was with Woolite and ring out in a towel and lay flat to dry. Very beautiful!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 PM

How precious! What a blessing....I'm very happy for you!
Old 11-29-2010, 05:23 PM

I repaired a yo-yo quilt for one of my daughter's customers and I checked each and every one. If any looked like it would come loose, I went over the the stitching and did all those that were obviously seperated. Also, check the gathering thread. It is time consuming but the end result is worth it.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:12 PM

I just finished a smaller yo-yo quilt and I would reattach each so that it doesn't distort further. This is beyond pretty and priceless, history alone makes it so.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

If the quilt is made all out of scraps... doesn't it make you wonder what the original projects were, that the pieces were left over from?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:22 PM

I wonder if it would be acceptable to get a nice wide backing fabric and tack the yo-yo's to that.

I would consider it a family heirloom - starting with you Mom. If it were mind I would tack it to a plain white backing fabric which would avoid the "back of the fabric peeking through" look and if you wanted to create a label with it's history.

Left along with just added stitches here and there would keep it too fragile for future handling, in my opinion.

Now I know what to do with all the "travel project" yo-yo's I'm accumulating! ;) Thanks for sharing the pics.