Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Virtual Quilting Retreat quilt along

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedemac View Post
    I need a Retreat! Doing a mat for my Grand Puppy. Hope it will not be to difficult to use a heaver fabric. I have a fair amount of flannel's that I need to use up. Here are my colors.
    Attachment 396991
    Perfect color choices and fabric for a grand puppy!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Dedmac: Great choices for a puppy! Do you use a 1/2 inch seam allowance for flannel?

Off subject: Just had to say, Love your avatar. Is that paper pieced?

I got off work early today and started right in on this retreat. I have my pieces cut, except for the binding, not sure which fabric I'll use yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lynda Rae

"One who makes no mistakes -- never makes anything!" Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    Ok, hope everyone is getting started on their virtual quilt retreat I will be hanging out in the chat room all night and watching here if there are any questions

ENJOY!

Fabrics chosen from stash and all cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    Dedmac: Great choices for a puppy! Do you use a 1/2 inch seam allowance for flannel?

Off subject: Just had to say, Love your avatar. Is that paper pieced?
    Thank you, Emma

Yes is was, It's going to be a wall hanging about 2 feet square. When I get enough nerve to try and quilt it, I will post a finished picture. It is a BOM from the 2012 Craftsy course that just kept morphing. Most of the fabrics are non cottons, so there is a backer mesh that I used to hold everything together.

I was planning to do the standard 1/4 inch seam on the flannel do I need to make it wider??? Still learning about quilting spent most of my life sewing clothes, used to 5/8 inch seams.

Blog Entries
    It is traditional to use a wider seam on flannels because they unravel more than cotton does. that would mean you would need to add 1/2inch to all measurements on the pieces. I made a quilt with flannel and just did 1/4 in seams, it seemed to be ok, they were all heavily woven, not loose. The choice is yours, but I might go with the thicker seam, due to it being a dog blanket and most likely getting washed more often than a bed quilt or throw.

Blog Entries
    I guess I don't follow directions very well . I cut all my pieces out but didn't take any pictures and I went ahead and started sewing them together. I think I could have finished it all tonite but decided to put it away for the night. I have a paper piecing project that I really wanted to get started on so I worked on it for awhile. I'll start back up with my bath mat in the morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    Never let instructions limit your creativity! your blocks look great so far.

This project is pretty quick, which is why I picked it for a weekend "virtual" retreat project, so that everyone will get to start and finish the project in one weekend.

I am planning on doing a couple more and giving them to nieces/nephew for christmas. I am going to get a towel set (bath, hand, face) and add a trim of the left over fabrics to the towels, to make a complete bath set. This is a great gift idea for housewarming or to have a set for "guests" when they visit. I have alot left over since I bought extra to ensure there was enough to make the rug. But anyone stash shopping, you might have enough left over to make matching towels. a simple 2 1/2 in strip with the edges folded down and stitched right close to the edge will make a nice trim, can even play with some decorative stitches or a small row of FMQ.

This info is probably sitting right before my eyes, but can't see it. What size will this finish at approx? Need to check out my towels....

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast