Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
want to design large applique swirls/drops/etc but how? (long) >

want to design large applique swirls/drops/etc but how? (long)

want to design large applique swirls/drops/etc but how? (long)

Old 02-12-2011, 05:51 PM

Hoping someone or more could help me out with some brainstorming! I am still on a mission to make a quilt/coverlet using my sister's wedding dress/train. The train is definitely going to be appliqued down the middle vertically and is thinner at the top and wider at the bottom.

I found thick cream cotton at MaryJos today that is 108x110, so it would be big enough for the king size that she wants.... so I bought it. And I got six 1 1/2 yard pieces of different sage greens which is the other color she want.

But I am having a tough time with a design. My first thought was to mark the train onto the large bottom and then to piece both sides/top/bottom onto the cream in a quilt as you go process....Then to applique the train to the top and tie it here and there, because it will be heavier than the sides.

Then I got another thought -- basicallly to hand applique a pretty large design on either side that is curvy/swirly/paisley.... but I know I can't handdraft those pieces.

Are there any easy ways to get large appliques drafted? Is it doable in any of the quilting softwares on the market today? I haven't gotten one yet, but this may force me to buy one yet!
Old 02-12-2011, 05:58 PM

why not have a long-armer do the quilting for you = she can put in the swirls you want without adding weight to the piece.
If you use flannel as your foundation for foundation piecing the sages around the edge of the marked train you can build your top with a middle layer of flannel - if that's not warm enough, add a second layer of flannel, but again, that adds weight.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

You can take any design to a print shop and have it enlarged as big as you like. They really don't charge that much for a black and white copy :D:D:D
Old 02-14-2011, 06:31 AM

Thanks amma....that is my thought too....so now I just have to find one that would work.... luckily I did find some in google images that might...

I don't really want to send it out to a longarmer because that defeats the purpose of me making it for her....I tend to be one of those quilters who wants to do the whole process from start to finish myself. And she is trusting me with a very valuable momento....I can't imagine trusting it to someone else on top of that.

Thanks for the ideas!