Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
warm & natural batting >

warm & natural batting

warm & natural batting

Old 05-13-2015, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Just me but I wouldn't put any fabric in the microwave no matter what batting is used.
I'm with you, here!
Old 05-13-2015, 10:35 AM

My family uses the bowl holders I make all the time (see photo above) and have never had a problem; however, they don't stay in the microwave longer than 4-5 minutes, which is more than enough time to heat up something in a soup bowl like soup, stew or chili. Also, we usually stop the oven and stir about halfway through. I've read the horror stories about these things (and the baked potato bags) spontaneously combusting, but haven't had a problem yet. As I said before, I use the Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting.

Originally Posted by gale View Post
Just me but I wouldn't put any fabric in the microwave no matter what batting is used.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Other than raw winter squash or baked potatoes I don't think I've ever put anything in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Normally we reheat for a minute, two at the absolute most.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Thank you, ladies, for these posts. I've not made potato bags, bowls, etc., for the microwave, but will remember to buy 100% cotton batting when I do!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 PM

I live in Hawaii, where shipping adds a large amount to get products here. Our prices are always higher than you would pay "at home"!

The local LQS has Warm & Natural 90" at 12.99 a yard -- that's 90 x 36, much larger than crib size. (The 45" $6.99 per yard, which you mention is what you remember paying - the price is the same -- you get twice the battling for the 90".)

For the SAME PRICE and size -- Richland 100% Cotton batting....

The big stores on the mainland (neither of which have any stores at all in our state) have raised their "everyday price" to make you feel "good" when you get 40% off. It's a marketing thing....

I agree that you need to use 100% cotton for the microwave items -- we recently heard from one of our customers that the polyester thread she used caused a fire in the microwave.... so the 13% non-cotton in W&N is way too much!

PS: that percentage "off" by using continual coupons (like at Bed Bath & Beyond, as well as fabric stores ) has increased the "every day price" on your fabrics too.... Better grab and use those discounts!
Old 05-21-2015, 02:51 PM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...re-t77011.html