Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: warm & natural batting

Blog Entries

warm & natural batting

I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday,and was looking @ the batting they have there.I have a project I want to do that specifies Warm & Natural batting. Was wiped away with the price. $12.99 for a crib size package of it.I do have my 40 % off coupon. I cannot substitute this ,as its for making microwave bowl protectors. May check out some mail order companies.the last time I bought warm & natural, it was ,I believe about $6.99.

I don't know how suitable W&N is because it does contain scrim. There have been previous posts on this site regarding what batting you should use. Batting is always more expensive when sold in packages. My local HL has it on a large roll and sells it like yardage.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I am not sure about this, but I believe you need the warm and natural without the scrim. Check this out before you buy. I may be wrong but I read something about the scrim getting too hot. Just a warning to check. On the other hand I may not have the right product.

Blog Entries
    YOu can't put warm and natural in the microwave. It has a polyester scrim which can catch on fire in microwaves with high wattages. The Warm company made a special 100% cotton batting that was made specifically for this purpose 'something tater' but discontinued it. Their new 100% cotton batting is called warm & plush.
    Pellon's version is called 'wrap & zap'
    http://www.joann.com/pellon-wrap-n-zap/10706869.html
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

As the others have said, you can't use any batting that has a scrim. It has to be 100% cotton. It can be needlepunched, but without scrim (sorry for repeating myself, but you don't want to create a fire hazard). The brand doesn't matter. Quilter's Dream has a 100% cotton batting and so does Hobbs. I used the Quilter's Dream batting and it worked just fine. These were made for Christmas gifts last year.

Name:  2013 12 20 Bowl Potholders.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  391.2 KB

I am new to quilting, so I am no authority, but I read that a good alternative when making potholders is to use an old towel in the place of batting. I wonder if this would work well for your microwave covers?

Blog Entries
    Just me but I wouldn't put any fabric in the microwave no matter what batting is used.

Blog Entries
    the pattern I have calls for Warm & Natural without scrim -and Hobby Lobby has both - with and without scrim.

So glad you mentioned that about W & N as I had ordered some thinking it was 100% just for these bowls. Just ordered the new stuff. Thanks for saving me from burning my house down..........:-)
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I just throw a piece of batting in the microwave on high power and see if it gets hot or starts to burn. I was surprised to see 100% cotton start to burn and the cotton with scrim did not. Always check for yourself before using no matter the label.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post
    Just me but I wouldn't put any fabric in the microwave no matter what batting is used.
    I'm with you, here!

My family uses the bowl holders I make all the time (see photo above) and have never had a problem; however, they don't stay in the microwave longer than 4-5 minutes, which is more than enough time to heat up something in a soup bowl like soup, stew or chili. Also, we usually stop the oven and stir about halfway through. I've read the horror stories about these things (and the baked potato bags) spontaneously combusting, but haven't had a problem yet. As I said before, I use the Quilter's Dream 100% cotton batting.

Quote Originally Posted by gale View Post

Blog Entries
    Other than raw winter squash or baked potatoes I don't think I've ever put anything in the microwave for 4-5 minutes. Normally we reheat for a minute, two at the absolute most.

Thank you, ladies, for these posts. I've not made potato bags, bowls, etc., for the microwave, but will remember to buy 100% cotton batting when I do!
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!

I live in Hawaii, where shipping adds a large amount to get products here. Our prices are always higher than you would pay "at home"!

The local LQS has Warm & Natural 90" at 12.99 a yard -- that's 90 x 36, much larger than crib size. (The 45" $6.99 per yard, which you mention is what you remember paying - the price is the same -- you get twice the battling for the 90".)

For the SAME PRICE and size -- Richland 100% Cotton batting....

The big stores on the mainland (neither of which have any stores at all in our state) have raised their "everyday price" to make you feel "good" when you get 40% off. It's a marketing thing....

I agree that you need to use 100% cotton for the microwave items -- we recently heard from one of our customers that the polyester thread she used caused a fire in the microwave.... so the 13% non-cotton in W&N is way too much!

PS: that percentage "off" by using continual coupons (like at Bed Bath & Beyond, as well as fabric stores ) has increased the "every day price" on your fabrics too.... Better grab and use those discounts!

Blog Entries