Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol >

Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

Warning! Don't EVER give or donate ANYTHING EVER! lol

Old 09-01-2014, 08:01 AM

I just moved. My feeling is why do I have all this stuff. I have determined that I will keep only enough to attractively fill the spaces I have available and give away the rest. I went to a guild meeting in my new community and was delighted with the welcome I received and I plan to join by next meeting. They have a "bring something-take something" table. I plan to take things every meeting and rarely take something. That should give things I no longer want to take care of a new home.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:51 AM

When I got my first Babylock embroidery machine some years ago, (thinking I needed only "one" sewing machine) I sold my beautiful like-new all-metal Viking Husqvarna sewing machine (a '70's model with all the bells and whistles of the day) and deluxe cabinet for $100; that was my first mistake. Then, again thinking I needed only one machine, I gave away another like-new portable all-metal multi-stitch sewing machine that I used as a "travelling machine". I have since so regretted my foolish decisions and wished I had those machines back as stand-bys. One can never have too many machines! (I've changed my ways, lol!)
Old 09-01-2014, 10:10 AM

I just gave away an old book...and of course, I am now looking for the pattern that I wanted that's in....the old book I just gave away.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:11 AM

Last month it was too hot to sew so I thought it was a good time to purge my fabrics. I gave away two big bags of flannel to a church group and I have another big box of fabric to take to goodwill.....somehow it seems that the fabric I still have has multiplied..and since I folded it neatly I can now find what I need, well almost.....going through you stash does help to make room for more. No matter what pattern you are working on you will most likely need some fabric to finish the project because you just don't have the right color to go with it....
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady View Post
A couple of years ago I gave a lady a sewing machine and some of my fabric I didn't think I would ever use. I wanted to do this to help her. I found out in the last year that she probably sold the machine for drug money and I have no idea what happened to the fabric that she had big plans for. Sometimes I'm a pushover for helping people. I'm beginning to be more selective with my "handouts". I guess the old saying is true..."you live and learn".
I have lived and learned. I donate money to trusted charities in my town and give unwanted items to people who would love to have it and could buy their own.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:39 AM

I worry every time I give something away but so far I have either not regretted it or can't even remember what I used to have. I'm sure one of these days I'll need something that I donated.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:55 AM
Power Poster

Well, it's like they say - toss something out and the next day you'll need it. When we downsized to a 2-bedroom apt. from a 3 bedroom house with full basement, 1/4 of which was my sewing "stash", but I couldn't say it was terribly organized. I should add that the year before my dear sister/friend passed away and I inherited her "stash", and before that I received various fabrics when people cleaned out their stash because they thought I could use it (and a lot of it I did) for making crafts and quilted items for my church's annual Harvest Fair. My DH and DS wanted me to get rid of all of it (Horrors of all horrors), but my best friend and quilting buddy came over one day and we purged about half of the fabric stored in the basement sewing room. What she couldn't use, she passed on to another friend who belonged to a group called Caring Covers who made quilts for babies and children in local hospitals. Wouldn't you know it I was making a family reunion quilt in blues, my sister's favorite color. Because we had just SS for income, and I couldn't find a job due to the economy, I was trying to watch what I spent. I remembered a very large piece of blue fabric that another girl friend had given me, so I called my friend, and she still had it, in fact she had set it aside because she thought I might want to use it, and I did. I had plenty of fabric for the backing of a queen size quilt, I didn't have to spend any extra money and my friend's gift was put to good use. Do I still miss some of that fabric, yes, however, I wouldn't have room for it in our apt., and my DH had to accept that I'd given away all the fabric I was going to give away. I'm glad I put my foot down, as I was able to make a darling pieced and appliqued quilt for our DGD, which I gave to her last Christmas, and I used all fabrics from my stash. I am slowly using the fabrics and have since gotten rid of at least 4-6 large plastic tubs of fabrics. Will I ever use it all before I die, I don't know, but I'm darned sure I'm going to try.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:01 AM

I just did a massive clean-out of books and patterns. Fortunately my niece and 2 best friends took most of them so they are still "in the family" if I should ever need them again.

We also have an agreement that we don't give away anything we got from each other unless we check back to the original giver in case they had a change of mind!
Old 09-01-2014, 11:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter View Post
Been there, done that.
I moved a year ago and yes, I regretted purging but nothing that major. I usually put the stuff I want to purge in a box and if I don't go searching for it and months later, I re-examine the fabric I am going to purge and make a second and final decision on it.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:03 PM

Right now I am in a real slump. I wish someone would come in and take ALL my stuff away. I feel like I never want to look at it or even think about the thousands of projects I intend to do. All this stuff becomes a burden at some point. I just want it purged!