Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washable Markers >

Washable Markers

Washable Markers

Old 10-06-2010, 03:19 AM
Power Poster

always test...try the marker you want to use on a place that is not going to show later and let it dry...then wash and see...
some pigments are harder to remove than others...red would be one i would stay away from afraid it may not all come out.
but testing is really a good idea no matter what you are using to mark with. i've had pencils not wash out of some fabrics, one of those blue quilters pens that are supposed to disappear with just a spritz of water ruined an old quilt once...so i don't use anything without testing first to make sure it is going to come out, regardless of how well it works for someone else
Old 10-06-2010, 03:50 AM

Debbie,
maybe the fabrics are finished in different ways also and the manufacturers use different colors for printing etc...even the reaction of the colors in the fabric can be variable!
I agree absolutely- testing is always a good idea.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
I understand that you shouldn't iron it before you remove it. Becomes permanent.
So true. Ask me how I know :(
Old 10-06-2010, 04:48 AM

I recently used a purple kid's washable marker on a quilt and freaked when it didn't "wipe off." I wrote on this board to ask opinions. What I ended up doing was washing it before attaching the binding, (zig zag edges first)and with no detergent in cold water. It came right out!!!! JUST DO NOT IRON FIRST. I'm a newbie to FMQ and need dark clear lines to feel comfortable, so mark away!
Old 10-06-2010, 08:07 AM

I have used Crayola Washable markers very successfully. I always wash my fabric before using it. I marked my quilts using a stencil and the washable markers, quilted them, put the binding on and then washed them. I used every dark color of marker - brown, purple, red, green, blue. I used a little laundry detergent in the wash water and had no problem with the marks. They are gone. I think if I were marking on white or off white I would make a very faint line with the markers just in case.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 AM

I have used the Crayola Washable markers too. I did like cindyg and haven't had any problems.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by lucyw29
Probably a silly question.... but would washable markers even be worthy of taking my time to see if they will wash out of my fabrics. I am looking for something to mark pretty patterns with so that I can quilt them onto the fabric... have tried pencils and they dont seem to work very well, I am afraid of stretching or poking the fabric with them. I am afraid to try anything else, would hate to ruin a quilt top just to try something and I have seen tons of things people say work.... lol.... help me please before I ruin something.
Not a silly question. Have you seen the no-marking method? Check Geta's
tutorial. You might want to practice on scraps first and see how you like it.

http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.co...ting-tips.html
Old 10-06-2010, 11:48 AM

Thanks so much for all your responses. I am really excited about this. This will make things so much easier. I will test test test before putting it on my quilt tops :)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 AM

EasyPeezy, thanks so much for the link, I have read it and will definately give it a try.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 AM

I am new to quilting so I tried every kind of marker to find what worked best for me and the fabric I was using. I settled with the pounce and white chalk. It took a few "pounces" with my hand to the applicator to produce enough chalk to mark, but once the applicator was "ready" marking was easy. As I tried so many pencils and markers that proved difficult to get rid of, I was very, very pleased when the chalk ironed off, just as the label stated. I use the white chalk even on unbleached muslin. I have ordered the "barely blue" chalk to make working on the unbleached muslin a little easier. I will let you know.