Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric.  Any do's or don'ts?? >
  • Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric. Any do's or don'ts??

• Washing a 6 yard piece of fabric. Any do's or don'ts??

Old 08-18-2015, 06:05 AM

You're right on track. Unfold and fluff before putting loosely in the washer on the gentle cycle, trim any loose threads from the cut edges after washing, unfold and fluff again before putting in the dryer. Simple as that. Nothing else is needed. I wash yardage over 6 yards fairly often and it comes out beautifully with no special treatment at all. I do generally wash and dry pieces that large by themselves, but I don't have the water restrictions that you might in CA.

Last edited by ghostrider; 08-18-2015 at 06:10 AM.
    Old 08-18-2015, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

This is what I do. Couple of my lingerie bags fell apart. Removed the zippers from those bags and used some cheap muslin to make replacements. Old pillow cases with zippers are great also.
    Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven
    I wash large pieces such as 3 yards of 108" wide backings and just this morning washed a piece that was 6 yards by 42 inches. I wash the fabric in warm water and then take it out of the washer after the machine is done. Shake out the fabric in the dryer, put in 6 woolzie balls and put the dryer on low, set my oven for 10 minutes (makes sure I don't forget the fabric) and go in and take out the fabric. Shake it and hang it on the clothes line in the basement. Most of the wrinkles hang out and when i am ready to use the fabric, I iron/starch as much as I need. That is it. I wash all my fabrics. I even put the charms, fat quarters, layer cakes and the 2 1/2" strips in a lingerie bags and wash them, too.
    Old 08-19-2015, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
    I fold large pieces into 1 or 1-1/2 yd folds, fanfold style, and safety pin the selvage edge. I leave it pinned, shake it out and put it in the dryer that way. you might have to shake it out and dry it a bit more after a bit. it's much easier to handle this way.
    I wash large pieces of fabric this way and it works great. I open mine before I fan fold it and pin it to reduce the number of layers. I would never wash any other way. No more tangles and twisting.
    Old 08-19-2015, 04:49 AM

I usually don't prewash, but when I do, serge the two cut ends first. If it's a red or other dark color, I throw in a couple of color catchers and use cold water to reduce fading. Since I don't prewash my batting, I don't want to max out shrinkage and then have the batting shrink.
    Old 08-19-2015, 05:49 AM

I've never had to wash as much as that, but I usually tie the fabric into a large pillowcase, that way it is less harsh on the cut ends.
    Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 AM
    Power Poster

I would wash it on delicate cycle and comforter setting if you have a HE (high efficiency) washer. Less agitation and more water than normal settings.
    Old 08-19-2015, 07:09 AM

I wash my large pieces of fabric on the gentle cycle with warm or hot water. Shake it out before putting it in the dryer on low. Have done up to 10 yards this way and never had a problem.
    Old 08-19-2015, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Stevensgirl
    I have never heard of that. I've washed many large pieces of fabric in the past without any problems...even much larger than your piece. To me a 6+ piece of fabric is no worst than washing a sheet.

This is my reasoning, too. I wash all large pieces of fabric just as I would a sheet. I do shake the fabric out before putting it in the dryer, but I do that with sheets, too! I also wash fat quarters, several together, as I would small towels or anything else that size, just loose in the washing machine. I've never washed layer cakes (never bought any, actually) or anything smaller, but if I did, I would put those in a lingerie bag.
    Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM

I, too, fold long pieces of fabric into 1 yard lengths. I loosely baste the edges together and then put in my top-loader washer. That prevents wrinkles forming during agitation and spinning.
    Old 08-19-2015, 10:03 AM

I wash large length's of fabric and never had a problem. I have never heard you could not do it. I have long drapery that I wash with no problem at all.