Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing Commissioned Quilts >

Washing Commissioned Quilts

Washing Commissioned Quilts

Old 08-18-2016, 09:30 PM
gml

Default Washing Commissioned Quilts

Hi. I would like to ask if you wash commissioned quilts (those that you are paid to make), after quilting and binding it, before you return to your customer. What is the normal procedure with commissioned quilts?

All the fabric (all cotton) used in the quilt top and the backing was previously pre-washed. The only 2 items that were not pre-washed were the cotton batting and the cotton thread used for quilting.

When I make quilts to be gifted, I would wash the quilts after the binding is sewed on then gift it away. This is my first time handling commissioned quilts so am at a loss.

Appreciate any comments. Thank you.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:35 PM

Just ask the customer if they want it washed or not.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:55 PM

I no longer take commissioned work, but when I did I always washed it after quilting for 3 reasons:
1) to remove any marks that might not have completely come out with spritzing
2) because I only make baby quilts & want to be sure the quilt is as clean and allergen-free as possible before sending it into a home with a little one
3) if it's going to crinkle, I want that to happen before I give it to the customer (grandparent) so they don't give it to their child (parent) who washes it the first time & thinks they somehow ruined the quilt
Old 08-19-2016, 12:52 AM
Power Poster

I Always launder quilts as soon as the binding is done- I consider it the final step to completion. That way I know if anything is going to go wrong. ( a seam unstitched, a color bleed, a loose applique...etc) also removes any oils from my hands, any markings, starch, fusible....the list goes on. I want the new owner to not have to deal with any surprises ( unfortunate situations) after receiving their quilt. I always take plenty of pictures ( whole quilt and detail shots, top and backing) so if someone does damage their quilt I have proof it was not damaged when I sent it off.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:41 AM
Power Poster

I don't do commissioned but when I've finished with any quilt, I washed in warm water since I prewashed the fabric prior to making for the same reasons as ckcowl. Who wants to receive a soiled/spotty quilt you're paying for!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I Always launder quilts as soon as the binding is done- I consider it the final step to completion. That way I know if anything is going to go wrong. ( a seam unstitched, a color bleed, a loose applique...etc) also removes any oils from my hands, any markings, starch, fusible....the list goes on. I want the new owner to not have to deal with any surprises ( unfortunate situations) after receiving their quilt. I always take plenty of pictures ( whole quilt and detail shots, top and backing) so if someone does damage their quilt I have proof it was not damaged when I sent it off.
Taking pictures of the quilt before it leaves your custody - what an excellent idea!!!!!!!!
Old 08-19-2016, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Taking pictures of the quilt before it leaves your custody - what an excellent idea!!!!!!!!
yes, i never thought about it, but always good to cover all the bases
Old 08-19-2016, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

I never washed the commissioned quilts when I use to make them. I would certainly inform my customer on how to properly wash a quilt.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:57 AM

I always wash any quilts I make for all the reasons mentioned above. Great idea to take pictures after washing.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I never washed the commissioned quilts when I use to make them. I would certainly inform my customer on how to properly wash a quilt.
same here--my printed wash and storage directions informed about the "crinkle"