Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Watercolor quilting ...

  1. #1
    custompolz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rochester MN
    Posts
    46
    Does anyone do the watercolor quilting? I have done a bit and am going to attempt another. I see several block / stamp exchanges and would love to see one that swaped the 2" large print fabrics used for the watercolor quilting. Anybody else?

  2. #2
    Super Member twinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,767
    This is the only water color I have done. It was done with 2" squares. It looks like the squares are curved on the right, but actually it was the photographer. I enjoyed doing it and I am doing one for the church. Good Luck

    Watercolor Wall Hanging
    Name:  Attachment-165009.jpe
Views: 45
Size:  62.4 KB

  3. #3
    k3n
    k3n is offline
    Power Poster k3n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Somerset, England
    Posts
    10,714
    Blog Entries
    1
    That is beautiful. This is something I've wanted to try for ages - would be a good scrap buster too!

  4. #4
    custompolz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rochester MN
    Posts
    46
    Very nice ... yes a good scrap buster ... but would still love a 2" block exchange - can't get the same fabrics here as I did in other parts of the country so an exchange would be alot of fun!

  5. #5
    Super Member twinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,767
    If you were doing a Watercolor in 2" squares, the only way I would know to do a swap is to give a list of colors you want to do in your water color. Then the one wanting the material could say, "I need shades of red, yellow, blue and green in very small floral prints". Or, "I need shades of purple, orange pink and grey in blender, tonal or batiks". The party sending the material would then send perhaps 50 2" squares that would fit that description. I do know that all swaps have to be approved by administration. You might think about it and maybe you or someone else could organize a swap. To me, the most difficult part of a Watercolor is selecting the right colors. If you go to your LQS or a chain fabric store, you can find a fusible interfacing with a 2" grid on it. It makes Watercolors much easier to do. Good Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by custompolz
    Very nice ... yes a good scrap buster ... but would still love a 2" block exchange - can't get the same fabrics here as I did in other parts of the country so an exchange would be alot of fun!

  6. #6
    davidwent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ayer Ma.
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by custompolz
    Does anyone do the watercolor quilting? I have done a bit and am going to attempt another. I see several block / stamp exchanges and would love to see one that swaped the 2" large print fabrics used for the watercolor quilting. Anybody else?
    This sounds like a great idea! Why don't you start one. I would definitely join
    David

  7. #7
    Super Member twinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,767
    David, I am almost 70, work full time at WalMart, quilt, do many crafts, crochet and have a 69 year old child (DH LOL) and am in charge of the LAQ Directory at the top of the Classified Section. I just don't have the time to do that but I am sure someone could do that. The 2" squares could also be used in a Trip around the world or many other patterns, not just Watercolor. I would be willing to join if someone starts one.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidwent
    Quote Originally Posted by custompolz
    Does anyone do the watercolor quilting? I have done a bit and am going to attempt another. I see several block / stamp exchanges and would love to see one that swaped the 2" large print fabrics used for the watercolor quilting. Anybody else?
    This sounds like a great idea! Why don't you start one. I would definitely join
    David

  8. #8
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,194
    thats a beautiful quilt!

  9. #9
    custompolz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rochester MN
    Posts
    46
    True ... for me, the watercolor is as much about movement as it is color and so I use mostly the larger prints. I would be a bit less concerned about color in an exchange because I "separate them" in a general sence much like most of us do with fat quarters. Just a general idea of those are mostly blues - that kind of thing. So I could really enjoy just having a bunch of different blocks with differing colors and movement to them. More options to play with.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkie
    If you were doing a Watercolor in 2" squares, the only way I would know to do a swap is to give a list of colors you want to do in your water color. Then the one wanting the material could say, "I need shades of red, yellow, blue and green in very small floral prints". Or, "I need shades of purple, orange pink and grey in blender, tonal or batiks". The party sending the material would then send perhaps 50 2" squares that would fit that description. I do know that all swaps have to be approved by administration. You might think about it and maybe you or someone else could organize a swap. To me, the most difficult part of a Watercolor is selecting the right colors. If you go to your LQS or a chain fabric store, you can find a fusible interfacing with a 2" grid on it. It makes Watercolors much easier to do. Good Luck

    Quote Originally Posted by custompolz
    Very nice ... yes a good scrap buster ... but would still love a 2" block exchange - can't get the same fabrics here as I did in other parts of the country so an exchange would be alot of fun!

  10. #10
    Super Member twinkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,767
    Thank you. That was my first watercolor and I really enjoyed doing it. They had a "class" at our quilt guild.

    Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    thats a beautiful quilt!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.