Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Quilt >

Wedding Quilt

Wedding Quilt

Old 08-22-2015, 02:24 AM

I made a quilt as a 50th wedding anniversary and had the guests sign their names on the completed quilt. I had them use a Micron pen
Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 AM
KLO

I too made a wedding signature quilt. However, I did make the quilt top and take that with me to the reception. The bride's brother (an adult) was in charge of getting people to sign/leave a message on the blocks that were surrounding the center motif as they arrived at the reception. There was freezer paper ironed to the back of each area to be signed by pigma pens. Yes, do have more than one pen available. It was a small wedding so it all worked out fine .... except for one fairly old uncle who signed the block upside down but the bride treasures that block just the same/all the more. The quilt was quilted after the wedding with wording in the outside border. The center motif matched the flowers that the bride was carrying. This is such a wonderful gift to the family that it is wonderful that you are putting forth the effort to make this for them. Don't sweat it if there are a few crazy signatures. Good luck and enjoy!
Old 08-22-2015, 07:47 AM

Many times, especially at wedding, the unexpected is what makes the event. Same with quilts.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:57 AM

I made a quilt for guest to sign at my daughter's wedding. I used the Bridal Bouquet block. I made all the blocks and then put the blocks together in strips. I asked someone to oversee the signing. That person did not understand what I wanted, nor did the guest. The people all wrote messages to the bride and groom. Years later it is nice to look back at the messages so that was not a real negetive. However, that made it more difficult for me to put the strips together and quilt. It doesn't matter if you do blocks, strips or the whote quilt. Just make sure you communicate what you want the end results to be.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:44 AM

I made one of these for my granddaughter's wedding. I cut the strips 3 x 7. I cut an index card 2 1/2 x 61/2, centered it on the strip and used a WASHABLE FINE LINE MARKER (I suggest Crayola and test before marking) to draw the section to be written on. I used Micron pen #5 and had several small clipboards. Iron freezer paper to the back of each strip to make writing easier and have someone at the table to instruct and supervise. And of course, have extras. All that being said, it makes a wonderful memento of that special day.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 AM

I cut all the blocks, ironed on the freezer paper, for my granddaughters wedding last Oct...she promised to assign someone to the table, which did not happen, and I was appalled at some adults that signed the blocks, scratched thru and started over, several kids were using them as a coloring book....I made the quilt using all the blocks, because I had cut just the right amount of blocks for the kingsize quilt, did not have any extra....they were happy with all of them and didn't seem to mind all the mess-ups...memories they called it, so I did my part...However the wedding was beautiful.....lesson learned, make sure you have an adult at the block signing table... because kids were not supervised at this one...and some adults don't know how to spell...sad!!
Old 08-22-2015, 11:11 AM

To everyone who has made one: Were your signatures permanent after it was washed?? I've got all my snowball blocks paper-pieced, and am trying out different pens now. Just wanted your opinions on how your pens held up through several washings.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:14 AM

Great ideas! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Last edited by hillview; 08-22-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM

Location: Spring, Texas now but originally from Bayou Blue (Houma) Louisiana

I am putting my daughters one together now. I ironed the squares to freezer paper. Put blue painters tape around where I did not want anyone to write. We had them in a box on the sign in table. Did not work out too well. I had to announce during the reception to please go sign a block. Then we got quite a few but I don't think everyone signed. But her quilt will be about a queen size so not too bad. I have 5 inch squares and I put a 2 inch boarder around each square then sewed them together in rows. I only have a domestic machine so I will only sew half together so I can quilt easier then put the 2 half's together after it is quilted. I also pieced the back. My daughter had gone shopping with me before the wedding for accent fabric. Well we got a lot of accent fabric so I decided that she picked it so I would make the backing with it. lol And I had a few extra signature squares I could not fit on the front so I put them on the back.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:08 PM

I have done 3 of these so far and have the blocks ready for another one for a wedding in October. I found that making the blocks first really helps keep folks from writing in the seam allowance. I also took a block to Hobby Lobby and had them make a picture mat for the block, going into the block 1/2" all the way around to preserve my seam allowance. I ironed freezer paper to the back of the blocks and taped the block into the mat. Worked great - you can see the finished quilt here: http://farmquilter.blogspot.com/2015...-quilting.html

One thing, you do not want to quilt over the written words, so be mindful of how large a space you leave for the signatures. The blocks I made for the October wedding are here: http://farmquilter.blogspot.com/2015...y-goal_31.html I really like that pattern - easy to do in the bride's colors and the area for signing is large enough without being too big for no quilting besides SID.