Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Quilt >

Wedding Quilt

Wedding Quilt

Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 PM

Default Wedding Quilt

I am planning on making a wedding quilt where people sign their name in a block that I will add to the quilt. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this? Should I make the quilt first, or have the blocks for people to sign and then make the quilt later. How do I assure they don't sign in the seam allowance? Would appreciate any suggestions as I have never done this before.
Also, glad for any suggestions as to how to set this up at the wedding site or should I mail the blocks ahead of time?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:41 PM

Plan out a template mark the seam allowance or cover with tape ( time consuming) Maybe just make the quilt ahead of time if there is time. Make sure to use the correct type of marking pen ( not sure what one that is) sharpies leave a pretty mark on the face if used! ask how I know that!!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:03 PM

What about using painter's tape around the edge - tape it to a piece of card stock. Depending on the size maybe use a 4 x 6 card to tape it to.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:36 PM

I have heard (haven't done one myself) that people make a template with a window just a little smaller than the size of the finished block. That is placed over the fabric square. If you have a piece of very fine sandpaper to put under the block it keeps it from moving. You can draw the placement of the block on the sandpaper so that it is in the right place. Make a few so that several people can work at once. Maybe hinge the template to the sandpaper so that the block is just placed in the middle and when it is closed everything is perfectly placed. Hope this is clearer than mud!!! Ann

Last edited by krafty14; 08-20-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:02 PM

I did this for my son's wedding last summer. The centre white square (for the guests to sign) was framed by slate gray (colour of bridesmaids' dresses). I took that part only with freezer paper pressed on the back to give the block stability while signing. I set up a sample block on a small stand as an example, with the pile of blocks and several Pigma pens for the guests to sign. They had to keep their messages in the white and no one wrote on the gray. I then took the blocks home, removed the freezer paper and finished assembling the blocks. We used the blocks instead of having a guest book.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528337[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
Old 08-21-2015, 05:22 AM
Power Poster

I have done this before and there will always be someone who will write outside the lines. I used Freezer paper and iron it onto back of the fabric. I used Sakura Pigma pens that you can find at JAF (or at least online).
Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 AM

Yes, my best advice..... do not have them sign a quilt that is already made. There is always, some drunk,kid or smart you know what that will mess it up. I have seen it done. Ruined all that time and work by someone who thought it could be undone. Someone on here suggested a "paper frame" around a signature fabric. Tape it down so they can't write outside the line and make lots of extras for mess-ups. That way you can pick and choose the best and ignore the rest.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Yes, absolutely do not make the quilt first. Make lots of extra squares to write on. Even people trying to do the right thing will mess up occasionally. Iron the squares onto freezer paper to give stability. The paper frame is a good idea, if it can be properly placed around the square, but I'm not sure how that's done. I would leave more than the desired 1/4" so you can trim the squares later to get rid of any fraying and to best frame the signatures. Do some laundry tests first with the pens and fabrics you want to use. And have someone nearby while the signing is being done to give instructions. I think a signature quilt is a wonderful idea and it can become a family heirloom. Best of luck and be sure to post it when it's done!
Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 AM

I have used this method for years and have posted it here several times. I take file folders and draw and cut out a "window" 3/4" smaller than the block to be signed on the front of the folder. That gives you your 1/4" seam allowance and a scosh more. I mark around that window so it is clearly marked on the inside of the folder back. I then cut a piece of fine grit sandpaper the size of the block and glue it over the marked square on the inside. I make several so people don't have to wait very long to sign a block. I always ask someone to man the table so that they can instruct people if they need it. I used to use fine point Sharpies, but if someone leaves the tip of the pen on the fabric too long, the ink will bleed into the fabric. I now use Pigma pens and don't have that problem.

Once you have the signed blocks, be sure to press them with a hot dry iron to set the ink before sewing them into the quilt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528361[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528362[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails file-folder-frame-signature-blocks-1.jpg   file-folder-frame-signature-blocks-2.jpg  
Old 08-21-2015, 07:06 AM

I made one for my daughter when she got married. I made all the blocks before the wedding and assigned my niece to go around to each table with a basket of blocks to sign (and/or leave a message). I brought several pieces of sandpaper to put below the signature blocks to use when signing (it keeps the fabric from sliding). My niece told everyone not to write within an inch of the outside edge (and she was there to supervise). Be sure to have several pigma pens available and purchase a large tip (#8) to get a nice bold signature. Do not send the blocks out unless you are prepared to send pigma pens too and then you have to deal with people not getting back to you. After the wedding I did seek out the people who could not make the wedding to get blocks from them. Good luck, it is such a nice idea and so much fun to see what people either wrote (or drew) on the blocks. We did have some very creative blocks. After the wedding be sure to dry iron all the signatures to heat set. Good luck!

Last edited by Donnamarie; 08-21-2015 at 07:09 AM.