Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wedding Ring Quilt .....help with color >
  • Wedding Ring Quilt .....help with color

• Wedding Ring Quilt .....help with color

Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Check out Phillips Fiber Art. They have 2 ways to make a Double Wedding Ring quilt. One is Rings that Bind and the other is Simple Bands Pattern. Both are easy and the Simple Bands Pattern is shown with only 3 colors. Hope this helps.
    Old 12-05-2013, 08:50 AM

Something like this?? Yes, I agree these aren't 'traditional' colors but it could be really pretty.

Jane
    Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 AM

Ask your daughter to help you choose the fabrics. That way, you'll be sure to have what she wants. If she's local, go shopping together. If she's far away, ask her to check some online sites.

Keep us posted!

Jane
    Old 12-05-2013, 09:41 AM

remember that the ring pattern doesn't have to be all over the quilt. With these colors, sounds like she may be a little more contemporary - so make it a more contemporary quilt overall with a section of the rings (the suggestion above about having solid color rings is great) and use more blank space around to build the quilt.
    Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM
    Power Poster

You had to ask her, didn't you! I think this combo could be quite beautiful in the right proportions. If you are hesitant to choose colors on your own, have a local quilt store help you. Don't be scared of this pallet. It will be fabulous.
    peace
    Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by coastienest
    My daughter is getting married next year and I want to start on a quilt for her...the wedding ring. My problem is this...I asked her what co!or quilt she would like if it was to be one to have forever and ever, queen size for her bed. Her answer was combo of black, gray and yellow. Help!!! For a wedding ring? What or how do I do that?? First of all, the idea of the quilt being a wedding ring scares me and now she gives me these colors. I was hoping for ivory tone on tones or something on that order. Simple but elegant. Any ideas???
    Do you have an embroidery machine? I digitized a double wedding ring to do on embroidery machine I think the pic is on page 11 on pictures.. if you are interested in design send me a message. katiedi2
    Old 12-05-2013, 07:24 PM

I think it can be very effective using those colors. I would do grey for the melon and background and bl/yellow for the arcs. I did my daughter's using the templates. It takes time, but they are gorgeous. I made a queen size one by the way. I think it's sometimes fun and interesting to take a traditional pattern and kick it up a notch with modern fabrics/colors.
    Old 12-09-2013, 10:46 AM

The fabric selection and layout often takes some time. It can also be the funnest part of quilting! For an easy Double Wedding Ring quilt that a beginner can do in a few days, consider using one of our Quiltsmart patterns. There is no curved piecing, and the square blocks sew up fast. No one will know how easy it really was! Good luck to you, and if you are interested in the Quiltsmart double wedding ring pattern, you can find it here: http://www.quiltsmart.com/khxc/index...bleweddingring
    Old 12-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Here's a perfect example of those colors from our very own Board (under pictures - link below). It's not DWR, but I can vouch for the Phillips fiber art pattern(s). They're very do-able and much faster than traditional DWR construction. I think you'll like it. Actually, those colors are a real class act. Check it out:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t236350.html
    Old 01-30-2014, 08:42 PM

Wow, everyone certainly had some great ideas and they just keep coming. Thanks so much. It is a lot to take in but I need to decide soon. I'll keep you updated on what I do. Wish me luck