Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weird Sewing Machine Problem >

Weird Sewing Machine Problem

Weird Sewing Machine Problem

Old 08-12-2016, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Well, phooey. My beloved sewing machine (Brother PC420PRW) suddenly started acting weird a couple of hours ago. It sews just fine ... no problems at all ... but when you push the button to automatically cut the threads, the thread cutter makes a rather unhappy grinding sound. Neither threads are cut.

Here's what I've done:

Changed the needle
Re-threaded both upper and lower threads (several times)
Changed the spool of thread to a different one
Changed the bobbin to a different one
Turned the machine off and back on (several times)
Spent over an hour cleaning it. I already keep it as clean as I possibly can, but I did find some overlooked lint mooshed up under the feed dog mechanism. Cleaned that out.
Googled my fingers off trying to find a solution.

Nothing helped. I really miss the thread cutter. It saves so much time AND thread.

But that's not the only thing ...

While I was cleaning the lint out, I noticed something odd about the bobbin case. It looks like it's been broken or "chewed" off ... perhaps somehow jabbed by the needle. (??) See pic below. I did break a needle about a month ago while sewing a multi-layered project. I didn't think anything of it, and if the bobbin case was damaged as a result, I didn't notice it (and I sew pretty much every day!). There were no further problems at all until today when the thread cutter suddenly stopped working. Weird. I don't know if the broken bobbin case could be affecting the thread cutter, and if it is, how did it take a month (??) to cause a problem?

I've looked and looked, but I can't find the hickey-do that actually cuts the threads. The manual is no help whatsoever. It does say not to press the thread cutter button without fabric and thread present, so I can't just press the button with the bobbin area opened up and watch to see what gadget actually tries to cut the thread. If I could SEE it, I could probably find the culprit! LOL!

I'll get a new bobbin case ordered ASAP, but in the meantime, do you think the thread cutter problem could be caused by something else? Do you know of anything else I could check? Thanks in advance for any advice/thoughts you might have! (Whew, this was a long message!)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]555827[/ATTACH]
You have been very thorough...at this point, I would take to the repair shop. There might be some other broken parts somewhere.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

That an interesting comparison. Your looks like plastic while the photo on the right is metal. Good Luck with getting it fixed.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

I'm just going to stick with cutting my own thread. Even if I've wasted a total of a couple yards when my spools are more than 300 yards, it's worth it to me not having to deal with a grind in my machine.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 AM

Since you are now cutting thread, why not cut up some scraps into small squares to use as leaders and enders (sew two together). You won't be wasting thread and you'll be making blocks for a future quilt at the same time.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Where is the broken off piece?
That's what I was wondering. It had to go somewhere.

Moonrise,
You might try calling your local vacuum repair shop. A lot of times they will do some basic servicing of sewing machines as well. As far as the broken needle, it's possible that it cracked the case & took a while for it to completely break off. I definitely feel for you. After a $180 repair on my old Singer due to a broken needle, I learned a very expensive lesson: apparently you're supposed to change out your needle from time to time! Who knew?!!! Not saying that's what happened to you ... just that I get how frustrating it can be to have something so small cost so much money.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 AM

Where is the broken off piece? Could it be interfering with the cutter? I have a thread cutter on my Bernina and I have never used it. I think I would adjust to not using your thread cutter if the rest of the machine works fine.
This was my thought as well maybe it got caught in the cutter and dulled the cutter. you probably have to replace both. I have heard its not to terribly difficult to replace yourself. If you have facebook, there are quite a bit of brother groups on facebook and I am sure someone on there can walk you through it
Old 08-12-2016, 12:24 PM

The thread cutter on my Husqvarna is just a little blade thing and is visible so may look different than yours. I had it replaced and the part was under $2 but of course had the minimum service charge for a regular check up as well. Sometimes mine gets a thread caught under it, and I can take a pin to scoop it out.
Do you have a small vacuum attachment used for keyboards etc? Maybe try that as well?
Old 08-12-2016, 02:42 PM

Where is the broken off piece? Could it be interfering with the cutter?
This is exactly what I was thinking, and it makes me very nervous for you. It's possible that there's a tiny piece (or pieces!) stuck in that part (or even other parts!) of your machine. I'd definitely take it in and have it professionally serviced. You have several issues, first and foremost which is what happened to the bobbin case in the first place and why???
Old 08-12-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
That an interesting comparison. Your looks like plastic while the photo on the right is metal. Good Luck with getting it fixed.
The bobbin case that came with the machine (bought new) is plastic. The replacement bobbin case I have on order is supposed to be an OEM part, so I'm assuming it'll be plastic too. Maybe the lighting in the photo is making it look like metal. (??) I'll know for sure when it arrives.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:42 PM

Where is the broken off piece? Could it be interfering with the cutter? I have a thread cutter on my Bernina and I have never used it. I think I would adjust to not using your thread cutter if the rest of the machine works fine.
The broken piece would have to be down inside the bobbin area somewhere. I've gently tipped the machine to see if I could hear it sliding around (nope). DH said it might've shattered into bits when it broke. When he has more time, he's going to try taking the cover completely off the machine and see if he can find the broken bit and to get a better look at the cutting mechanism.