Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sampler Quilt made from different size blocks

I would like to make a sampler quilt using many different sizes of blocks representing family memories. The sites recommended to me have most of the blocks I want to use, but they are 12 inches. I have also looked at the pictures on the board of sampler quilts and they seem to all use the same size throughout the quilt. Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions of a pattern where it is all different sizes?
    Thanks so much....

Some of the BOM patterns don't use the same size blocks. I've done several.

In My Garden
    Name:  Attachment-90115.gif
Views: 2414
Size:  17.2 KB

YOu need to determine the size of the largest block. Smaller blocks will need sashing to make them the same size as the largest one. You could draw this out on graph paper to see how this would work. Layout is up to you. Want the largest block in the center? off center? specific corner? really no rules to this...jUst what YOU like/want.

I agree with Julie in NM. Also google "sampler quilt images" and look at all the different pics to see if some particular type of layout strikes your fancy.

Happy sewing.

Look in the new quilt magazines. Seems like I've seen a lot lately with sampler quilts with different size blocks used.

If you have a design that you like but want to make it smaller, learn how to draft quilt blocks. It's a great skill to have, anyway.

There are several places you can find instructions online, here's one: http://www.quilt.com/HowTo/Drafting.html

If that doesn't make sense to you, just find another one that does. I actually learned out of a book from the library, but unfortunately I don't remember which book.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    I would like to make a sampler quilt using many different sizes of blocks representing family memories. The sites recommended to me have most of the blocks I want to use, but they are 12 inches. I have also looked at the pictures on the board of sampler quilts and they seem to all use the same size throughout the quilt. Does anyone have any pictures or suggestions of a pattern where it is all different sizes?
    Thanks so much....
    I have done this with quilts...just lay them out in a way that pleases you and then figure sashing to fill in...I have even used HST and flying geese to add interest...this is where a design board comes in handy but I really didn't have one, just the floor :thumbup:

I too have made a couple with different size blocks. My favorite is my orphan block quilt, I used one color for the sashing to unify it together. different fabrics but all yellow.
    I need to take new pictures as I lost them when my hard drive crashed :cry:

Blog Entries
    Check out the book "Around the Block" and other books. They will show different sizes of blocks and how to make them.

Blog Entries
    www.quilterscache.com has blocks you can look up by size too. so 12 inch ones and some 6 inch ones,etc.

If you use a 12" (finished) block, you can also use 4", 6" and 8" (finished) blocks. The way you put them together just has to add up to 12". So, 4-6" blocks = 1-12" block; 2-8" plus 2-4" blocks = 1-12 inch block; and 9-4" blocks - 1-12" block.

Or you can decide what your row measurements will be, and then shuffle blocks around until they come out right.

Graph paper and a design wall will be your best friends!

I hope you post pics when you are done.

Blog Entries
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43321-1.htm

Page 3 of this thread has a picture of a quilt made from different size blocks.

Everyone has been so helpful and answered all my questions. DonnaJean...I love the Garden Quilt! That was the idea I had in mind. I also figured there was a way to draft quilt blocks, but felt a little intimidated. Time to Learn! I also love the idea of combining small sizes to make 12 inches. I am feeling better about starting my project! Just don't hold your breath for a picture too soon....This project is in my head....There are several more on the sewing table....Thanks again....

I posted the "picture" of the In My Garden quilt that came with the BOM pattern directions. When I made it, I did not want a quilt that big, so I just used some of the blocks & arranged them to my suiting. I have not taken a picture of "my" version of that quilt, so I guess I should.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura3
    Everyone has been so helpful and answered all my questions. DonnaJean...I love the Garden Quilt! That was the idea I had in mind. I also figured there was a way to draft quilt blocks, but felt a little intimidated. Time to Learn! I also love the idea of combining small sizes to make 12 inches. I am feeling better about starting my project! Just don't hold your breath for a picture too soon....This project is in my head....There are several more on the sewing table....Thanks again....

I made a quilt using left over blocks from other projects. They ranged in size from 4" to 15" and inbetween. I used strips added to blocks that needed them to get a row the same size. Turned out well! Wish I had a picture to send so you could see how it was done. I am calling the quilt, "Orphans Home."

here is my favorite, as the different blocks all mean something to me; left over from one of my sisters, left over from my son and his wife when they got married 10 years ago.

orphan blocks of different sizes
    Name:  Attachment-90466.jpe
Views: 392
Size:  85.8 KB

scrappy binding and borders
    Name:  Attachment-90467.jpe
Views: 345
Size:  71.6 KB

Love Blluphrogs math. So simple but I nevert hought of it. Thanks

I am loving the orphan block idea! It seems like just what I had in mind. It is a beautiful quilt and I am sure it means a lot to you.
    Donna Jean....I just assumed it was your quilt...I am sure yours is more beautiful!!!
    Thanks again for all the great ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog View Post
    If you use a 12" (finished) block, you can also use 4", 6" and 8" (finished) blocks. The way you put them together just has to add up to 12". So, 4-6" blocks = 1-12" block; 2-8" plus 2-4" blocks = 1-12 inch block; and 9-4" blocks - 1-12" block. .
    These will all work, except the 8" block. To make that a 12 inch block, you need only one 8" block and five 4" blocks. Your graph paper will show you that. Two 8" blocks make 16 inches, and that's too big.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

maviskw, I think Bluphrog was imagining the 8" block next to a 4" block, then below that the 4" block first, next to the other 8" block. In my head that looks to me like it would require sewing partial seams to put that particular four patch together.

Here is a quilt I made using different size blocks. But I stuck with only 3 sizes. 12", 6" and 6" x 12" finished. As long as all your blocks are even divisible you can make them as many different sizes as you want but it is an easier project to put together if you narrow it down to 3 or 4 sizes:
    Name:  whole quilt.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  169.4 KB

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I have made a couple, though mostly with embroidered blocks. Block sizes ranged from 3,4,6,8,9,12,15 and 16". You just have to make the sizes you like, lay some out, and fit together using sashings strips of 2" squares, plain strips, or flying geese, whatever takes your fancy. I got my inspiration from a book called 'Galleria' put out by Jenny Haskins, for machine embroidery.

You can see my quilt here http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...41-556696.html
    and my first one using the book http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...41-454053.html

You will be surprised how easily the blocks fall in to place.
    I have more on my to-do list using applique and piecing

I've made several with different size blocks. I plot them out on graph paper.
    Lori

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
    Some of the BOM patterns don't use the same size blocks. I've done several.

In My Garden
    Name:  Attachment-90115.gif
Views: 2414
Size:  17.2 KB
    This looks so neat. Can you get us a bigger picture?

Look at some t-shirt quilts because sometimes they have to layout with different sizes.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

The most interesting sampler quilts I have seen have been those with different sized blocks. Go for it. There are lots of sources of information around for combining those elements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast