Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Different size blocks >

Different size blocks

Different size blocks

Old 06-09-2011, 08:22 AM

I am trying to put together several quilt blocks that were given to me. The problem is that a couple of the blocks are about an inch smaller than the other blocks. They are squares and I plan on putting strips between each block. I don't have any extra fabric to match the blocks. I'm afraid to trim all of the blocks down because it would cut threw the hand stitching and may ravel. Is there anything I can do?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM

I would frame them with a different fabric and then put the strips between them.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM

I would add borders to each, then cut them all back to the same size. Some might have a 1" border, some a 3/4" border, etc. Once you get them all the same size, you could assemble as is or put sashing. You could try to find a marble or other tonal fabric in a color that looks good with all of the blocks. Sometimes blending the colors works better than trying to match exactly.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 AM

You can select a companion fabric and sew narrow strips around the smaller blocks..sort of like a border within the sashing. Try to evenly place them throughout the quilt. I've seen it done because of that very same reason and the quilts turned out beautifully.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

i used to be afraid of this situation, now i'm not, gives me a chance to add color to the quilt with other fabs. see my funky cat and dog quilt or my summer wall hanging
good luck
Old 06-09-2011, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I think the only option is to border some of the blocks :D:D:D
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 AM

There are some great ideas! Wish I'd of seen it 2 days ago! Lol
Old 06-09-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions! You confirmed what I had figured out to do!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by katier825
I would add borders to each, then cut them all back to the same size. Some might have a 1" border, some a 3/4" border, etc. Once you get them all the same size, you could assemble as is or put sashing. You could try to find a marble or other tonal fabric in a color that looks good with all of the blocks. Sometimes blending the colors works better than trying to match exactly.
I agree with this, just add a full 2 inch border or something to each, then trim them back so the smallest border (on the largest blocks) is like 3/4 or 1/2 inch and then trim the others to match. Then add your sashing. It's a bit more work, but you'll be the most pleased with it in the end I think.

Rachel
Old 06-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Banned

border some of the blocks for balane even if you have to cut down some. You can use FRAY-CHEK to keep the hand stitches secure. The cross stitches will further secure them
Lay them out and arrange in a pleasing way those that would be bordered and those with just sashing. Use a contrasting color for the bordering than sashing. I believe the arrangement will work well.
Now - say you have two blocks that need borders. Then recut two more and put the four in the corners or in the center.......make the smaller blocks work in your overall design.