Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Weird Sewing Machine Problem >

Weird Sewing Machine Problem

Weird Sewing Machine Problem

Old 08-14-2016, 12:01 PM

I have never had one so no ideas and i have been sewing for 60 years.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:34 PM
Power Poster

My Baby Lock Jane has a cutter, works fine. My Juki TL98QE Does not. I use both machines all the time.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:37 AM

Update:

The new bobbin case arrived. Other than the "bite" taken out of the original one, they're identical ... both plastic, and they both have the fuzzy little rectangular pad and everything. I'm glad to have a new bobbin case, but unfortunately, it didn't fix the thread cutting problem.

It's hard to know what to do when an almost-3-year-old, heavily used machine is too expensive to be considered "disposable", yet not expensive enough to justify a repair bill.

After thinking it over, I realized that I've already gotten my money's worth out of it. It's paid for itself many times over with all the things I've made and sold at craft fairs.

Based on that realization, when he gets a chance, DH is going to take the machine apart and see if a) he can find the bit(s) of the original bobbin case, and b) try to see why the thread cutter isn't working. He works loooong shifts, though, so I don't know how long it'll be before he can get to it. It could be weeks.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help me right NOW. I've got craft fairs coming up FAST and I need a functional machine.

We talked about it and decided that, since I love this particular machine so much, that the best route would be to buy another one just like it ... if I can find one that's reasonably priced. Locally, I'm known as "The Coupon Queen" (ha ha), so Challenge Accepted!

I found an awesome deal on a used one, but the seller apparently changed her mind about selling it. Bummer. Then I got to poking around on e Bay, and found a brand new, identical machine for about 60% of the retail price, with free overnight shipping. It arrived yesterday, in a manufacturer-sealed box with all the accessories, and works just fine.

So ... I'm back up and running again, with a new PC-420PRW. If DH can fix the other one (and I'm betting he can), that'll be great ... I'd be thrilled to have TWO of them! And if he can't fix it, I'll probably just use it as-is. If something else breaks, well, it's already paid for itself many times over, so I can't complain. And if it continues to work, any extra time is icing on the cake. Plus, having an identical machine gives me double the accessories ... two FMQ feet, two walking feet, two each of all the other feet, two of each of all the tools, two pedals, two power cords, two manuals, etc.

Other people might've gone a different route, which is perfectly understandable, but under the circumstances, I think this was the best option for us.

Thanks so much for all the help, and I'll show DH the link to the diagrams.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:20 AM
Power Poster

I think you made the right decision. I recently bought a 420 PC not the PRW model. Less stitches to choose. I love it. There is a youtube video from a poster here that shows how to have the default needle position go to center, not far left. It is easy to do. It saves me from having to move the needle every time I turn it on.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:35 AM

I was at a class recently & my thread cutter did much the same thing. (I have this same machine) there was a lady who does repair of machines there & she showed me the little bar that comes out to cut the thread at the top & to left of bobbin case. There was a tiny thread stuck under this bar that I didn't even see. after the thread was removed she put a tiny drop of oil on it and it worked just fine. You might look to see if you have a thread stuck there, worth a look before you take it in for repair & I don't even see how you sew w that bobbin case, looks like it would cut thread with every stitch.