Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, I Tried..... >

Well, I Tried.....

Well, I Tried.....

Old 08-16-2015, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

My mother also use to just call them summer quilts. It's great to know you can make whatever you want, and what works for you.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:49 PM

For baby quilts/receiving blankets I've often used just two layers of flannel.

For family quilts/throws our preference is often for just the pieced top and then a layer of fleece as the combination batting/backing all in one.

If a warmer quilt is desired I will frequently use the fleece for batting and then flannel for the backing.

Can you tell I love the snuggly softness of fleece and flannel? Lol!
Old 08-16-2015, 11:18 PM

Of course you can!

On the flip side, my daughter wanted me to make a quilt for a friend of hers that was always cold (she was a tiny li'l thing and ate like a horse... wish I could!) Anyway, she had a thick fluffy quilt from her grandma that wasn't warm enough, so I used batting, and fleece as the backing, and binding. Tied it. Yes it was bulky, but, she loved it! anything you can dream, you can do!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:14 AM

I've made several of them. I piece the top as I would for any quilt, then use flannel, minky, or fleece for the backing. I keep a small one on the back of my arm chair. It's a small quilt with flannel backing; not too thick to sit against, but just enough warmth so that it will keep my legs warm when DH turns the AC down low while we're watching a movie.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by kindleaddict63 View Post
If you are feeling adventurous you could try a Cathedral Window quilt - a lot of fabric involved if it is going to be a large size quilt but they are typically without batting and without backing.
Cathedral Window quilts are quite heavy due to all the layers, so not a great choice to sleep under in hot climates.they are five layers of fabric minimum to make the design, so can be very warm.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM

I've heard them referred to as "coverlets" in years past. I found one in an antique store which had quilting done very simply, but no batting. Sounds like a great idea for those of us who love quilts but are post menopausal!
Old 08-17-2015, 11:56 AM

My sister is always warm. I made her a quilt for Christmas and used flannel (pre-washed!!) as a batting. Next time I think I'll use minky/flannel as suggested for a backing so only 2 layers. Unfortunately the FMQing doesn't show up as well, but in order to stay cool whatever is needed!!
Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM

How about using muslin for the batting like you would for a tablecloth
Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 AM

I recently I made two twin quilts for my grandson. He is really hot and does not use a blanket. I made the tops and then used flannel for the backs (he likes soft and fluffy). Then I used my long arm to quilt them. They turned out great. I did have to adjust the tension issues but just tighten it a little and everything worked out great. He loves his quilt. They were football and Houston Texans fabric.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 AM

For light weight quilts that we need here in hot SC Texas I use a wide interfacing that is light weight. A lady at a local quilt shop gave me this tip when we first moved here and I have made several with it and am very happy with the results.