Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well known quilter >

Well known quilter

Well known quilter

Old 06-08-2015, 01:26 PM

Default Well known quilter

A very well known quilter is coming to town. Cost is $150 plus the kit for a day class to make a 4 basket block. Since this is the first time that I know of that someone this famous is coming, I don't know if that is a lot of money. I think that the only quilters I would pay that much money to see is Jenny Doan, Jan Patek, and SusanClaire (The Gourmet Quilter) only because I would really like to meet them.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

$150 with the kit included would be doable for me if I really liked the teacher and sample. $150 plus the kit, not for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:00 PM

Are you getting any freebies from your shop or lunch? If you are getting something for your money besides just the class I feel it would be worth it. It does seem like a lot of money when you have to buy the kit separate but it's the equivalent of a meet and great with a favorite band...it's how much do you like them and what are you willing to pay for the privilege to learn from them.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:14 PM

Jenny Doan was the guest speaker at our quilt guild about two years ago. She did a class which through the guild cost $40. We were to bring the fabric on our own. I was so excited to take her class, just because I think she is such a neat person who I wanted to meet. I signed up right away, as soon as it was announced, at least 6 months ahead of time. But unfortunately, I put a challenge out there to the universe . I said no matter what, I'm going to that class. Well, guess what. DH had to have knee replacement surgery and was released from the hospital just a few days before the class and there was no way I could have left him alone for a day long class. So that's my experience with a well known quilter's class. As for your question, I don't think I would want to pay that much for anyone's class. Guess it depends on your resources and how much you would enjoy meeting that quilter. On the other hand, it is less expensive than a cruise with a celebrity quilter!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Lafpeaches View Post
I think that the only quilters I would pay that much money to see is Jenny Doan, Jan Patek, and SusanClaire .
It sounds like you've answered your own question....?

I don't know that comparing what famous quilters charge would be helpful. Some do lectures and trunk shows. Others teach classes and do trunk shows. Some just do lectures. Some people (such as yourself) would pay more to see certain quilters because that's the style they like, or that teacher could teach them something they really want to learn. If Yoko Saito came to town, I would dump my piggy bank to see her. But I can't really think of anyone else I'd pay money to see.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it's pretty subjective. Do YOU think this quilter is worth $150?
Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM

I say "Will you be kicking yourself later for not going?"
I had the opportunity to go take a workshop with a famous photographer in Nevada. I signed up for it, it was free but the cost of room (or in my case campground fees), gas to get there from san jose, food, photo supplies, etc. was far more than 150.00. A month ahead of time I saw my work was going to keep me in Europe for the period of time of the workshop and I gave up my spot. Not much I could do about it but he passed away a year later and I was never able to study with him. It was one I should have told my boss I have vacation then and I am not going to miss it.
No "Woulda, coulda, shouldas." tim in san jose

Last edited by k_jupiter; 06-08-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

I've been to many famous quilter's workshops. I have never paid that much for a one day workshop. Is it a Baltimore Album class with a lot of hand work? A pieced block is not worth that much money to show you how to sew a pattern.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:13 PM

Way too pricey for me to consider. I've only taken one "famous quilter" class- Bonnie Hunter at the Vermont Quilt Festival about 4 years ago. It was about $40 for a 1/2 day class, plus registration fees, etc so a total of about $70 plus travel costs of about $30. We brought our own fabrics precut into 2 1/2"strips. Well worth it to me for some fun and seeing the quilt show. I rarely take classes or go on retreats since I am in a Guild with occasional "Quilt til You Wilt" days during the year, and I have a nearby sister to sew with.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

That seems very high to me. But everyone has her own threshold. The only way I think I would pay that much for one day would be if it were one-on-one training in something I really wanted to learn and couldn't learn from books, DVDs, online classes, etc.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Is this the last weekend in June? If it is, I would definitely go and I think it would be worth it. If I didn't live so far I'd make the trip!

We have a regional quilt show nearby each April/May and they always have a guest teacher who teaches for 3-4 days. Even if I didn't necessarily like the project they were doing, it was a lot of fun meeting them, seeing their teaching style and picking up different ways of doing things. The other quilters were fun too!