Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Well, that'll teach me :-( >

Well, that'll teach me :-(

Well, that'll teach me :-(

Old 08-04-2016, 08:12 PM

I have always washed intense reds and blues -- I usually did the glass test to see if the color would bleed. However, I had a piece of red with cream stars that I washed and it bled when I starched and ironed it. I washed it again with a white towel (vinegar is my go to fabric softener so everything gets a rinse with it), and the towel came out pink. I reluctantly pitched the fabric (all 3 yards) -- I had it too long to try to get the manufacturer to do something. Now I prewash everything. I have washed home dec fabrics (I make sure I know what the fabric content is) and they do shrink a bunch -- many of the home dec fabrics say not to wash so I expect bad things to happen (shrinking or bleeding) when I do.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 AM

When I was weaving I would make a towel and then throw it in the washer with the hottest water, lots of soap and a color catcher made by Shout. I had a teacher who questioned my practices. I said: I'm going to sell this towel to someone who probably has a housekeeper who will throw it in the washer with the hottest water and then in a hot dryer. If something happens to the towel, they will demand their money back. I never want to see this towel again. Therefore I try to destroy it before they try. If I can't destroy it, then neither can they. And I want to know that it won't come back. Heavens knows I've already spent the money.

Marcia
Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 AM

I always assume Waverly as a decorator fabric and decorator cottons (even the 45" ones) shrink horribly. Learned the hard way.

If you look at decorator cottons, they say don't wash, but dry clean.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:56 AM

I serge the edges, then wash and dry all fabric before using. Saves on shrinking and fading problems. I wash black and bright red 2 times!
Old 08-05-2016, 04:20 AM

I am in the pre wash club. Was lucky before I started, but was always nervous that the quilts would run. Way less anxiety now!! Hope your napkins can be saved.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:58 AM

I pre wash everything. I set the wash on delicate, and I have have very little fraying.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:02 AM

I have made several quilts using the white Waverly fabric from Walmart. I did not pre wash and they look great after being quilted and then washed. I know the fabric is not as good as the brand names like Kona, but I have made some lovely quilts that have held up well for whom I've given them. I would not use this fabric for a heirloom quilt or a show quilt. And I would not wash it without being hemmed.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:09 AM

Add me to the "always prewash" clan.....
Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 AM

I always pre wash every piece of fabric that I bring into my house. It first goes to the laundry room before it goes to my sewing room.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:56 AM

I just started pre washing again. Leah Day strongly suggests doing so.