Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best most inexpensive longarm??? >

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The Martelli LaCresta long arm quilting machine. http://bestlongarm.com/Martelli_Quilting.html
I don't think I would like quilting in a cave...that's what the frame reminds me of!

My Innova has only seen a tech one time since I got it and that was to have the new Lightning Stitch regulator put on. However, I do have telephone access to a tech, 24/7/365 (free too) who will even help me figure out the perfect tension! Any issue I have had has been because the Innova is my first LA and a call to the tech has always fixed my ignorance.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:53 PM

Not sure if you are still looking, but I think you need to find a local (my local dealer is 75 mile round trip) dealer...one as close as you can get.

Service is the first thing to find out about. You WILL need help...I don't care which machine you buy.

I am partial to my TL18LS (tinlizzie).
Why?
I'm a frugal quilter (ok Cheap)...my Lizzie was on sale, 1,000 off...that's the reason I got her.
I was going to get an Innova...but hubby insisted on one from a dealer we could drive to...so Lizzie it was.

If you can (I can't...don't have one anywhere close), go to a show and test different models, ask questions.

Buying used is always an option..but make sure the machine is still in working condition.

Don't expect to support yourself with a quilting business...too many of us have our own machines now. Not to discourage anyone, just saying....
Yes, you can maybe make some extra money, and even pay off the machine...but it's not the money maker some dealers will say it is.

All businesses have to have a business plan, and some research to see what competition is out there.

Once you find the machine you love, buy it...you will have so much fun using the machine & making beautiful gifts for others.

Don't let the brand or a dealer pushing a brand sway you...try them, and remember...they all quilt, and they almost all work the same...my Lizzie uses the same bobbins as a Gammill, and timing it is very much the same....price...1/2 or less than a basic Gammill.