Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best most inexpensive longarm??? >

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
the others may be great, but i will say that the wooden frame does not move one inch. it's very, very sturdy and has locking wheels that absolutely lock.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've tried the metal frames and do not care for the vibration. The Hinterberg frames is rock solid and you can expand it, many other you keep at the size you buy. I moved and went from 120" down to 84" due to room size. But I can still go to any size I need. Not many allow for that, and using steel poles there is no give. Those with telescoping poles they give up to 3" and can make a difference in quilting when pulled tight.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:31 AM

I have a Baby Lock Pro Quilter and a PC Quilter, but I have no frame just a table. I have had it for 2 yrs. and never set it up because of lack of space. This is a long story. Good luck and do a lot of reserch. There are many out there for resale.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 AM

I have the Voyager 17 on the stretch frame. It does everything I need it to do. I just quilt for myself and my sister, and maybe a friend or two. It's very easy to move on the frame, yes it's heavy to take off, but I haven't done that since it was put on the first time. My husband put the frame together, and he said whoever made it, knew what they were doing. I added the stitch regulator six months later.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM

I bought a gently used Handi-Quilter 16 with stitch regulator, and then I added the ruler base to it. I love it...I have to roll more often than the bigger ones, but that's ok. It does all I need to do for my hobby. I'm not in the quilting business.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Dee

Good luck to all of you who own the machines. If I was to buy one I would go for the mid price one and graduate from there. Just my few cents worth.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 PM

I saw the Flynn quilt frame and thought it looked great.But don't you have to FMQ? I can't do that yet.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:59 PM

I love my Tin Lizzie, too. I almost bought the new Martelli longarm, and would have if I didn't already have the Tin Lizzie.

A good place to try the various longarms is at a large quilt show, like Houston or Los Angeles.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Bailey is a fairly inexpensive longarm. When I have the room, that's what I'm thinking about. Someone also posted in the last couple of days about a WOW longarm. Don't know anything about them, but a few on board have the Bailey.
I bought a Baily and couldn't sell it fast enough. The reason for reselling it so fast was it was way to slow. It is an extended head singer and only did about 600 stitches a min.. Once you get to free motion quilting you will want to stitch a lot faster then 600 SPM. I now own an HQ16 which is all I could afford but let me tell you I love it.. It does 1500 SPM and it came with a nice frame w/stitch reg. included all for $5400. :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2010, 10:12 AM

I posted a question about the Flynn Quilt with no response from anyone.
If anyone knows if you have to FMQ with it please post any info you have about it. I watched the video and it appears to me you do have to FMQ but I am really new to quilting.Thanks bunches.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 AM

I have a Voyager/Stretch Hinterberg set-up with a stitch regulator. The machine weighs about 70 lbs, but is easy to move on the poles. I bought it several years ago when we got a good tax return and hubby said to "go for it"! I bought it from a dealer in Spring, TX near Houston. I bought it as a package and paid approx. $3500 for it. That included a three day retreat to learn how to use it. The Hinterberg people are really great with support. My DH and I put the frame together ourselves with the help of a CD that came with it. There are several CD's to help with the Voyager. I've had a minimum of problems, all easily solved.