Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best most inexpensive longarm??? >

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

What is the best most inexpensive longarm???

Old 07-21-2010, 12:20 PM

i just watched that video and the quilter looked wonderful, but as usual, the cost has not been mentioned. they always tell you what the options are for additional cost but they don't say what the basic price is. how can you compare prices?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
i just watched that video and the quilter looked wonderful, but as usual, the cost has not been mentioned. they always tell you what the options are for additional cost but they don't say what the basic price is. how can you compare prices?
Innova wants to sell through their developing dealer network. If you google "ABM Innova" you will pretty much get hits for all the dealers and their websites pretty much quote the prices for the setups. For example here is a link to my dealer.
http://www.athomequilting.com/Prices_and_Ordering.html

I found that most dealers for this product were quoting pretty much the same prices on their websites. Some of them did not have the "package" quoted. The package consists of machine, stitch regulator and rack. You get to pick what size rack.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:46 PM

that's the first time i've seen such info. thanks for the link. it costs $2,000 more than the lizzie and doesn't include the panto shelf and pantos, but is otherwise comparable. i like my wooden frame (made by hinterberg for lizzie) better because it's handsome, but that's a personal choice and has no effect on the quality of the quilting. other than that, all the options are available for lizzie.
i chose to have mine at 12' and will probably extend it to 14', just because i can and i have the space for it. it will give more space on the sides to slide the machine over for bobbin changing. still, the innova seems very nice and if i was buying today, i might consider it. what size do you have? i have the 18" and feel i don't need any larger. i can comfortably do a 14" block.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Here's the link to ABM International Innova Longarm.
http://maimin.com/Innova.aspx

They provide a basic cost for their machine which includes the panto shelf (at the rear of the machine).

The standard items included in the basic package are impressive and everything any quilter would need.

You also have the ability to choose the length of frame you desire - which is included in the basic price.

Add-ons are are personal choice and when added to your order for the basic machine and the Sales Rep at ABM was extremely generous in providing discounts off the regular selling prices.

One of the discounts I received when I purchased my machine was a US$700.00 discount which almost covered the shipping cost for my machine and frame to Canada.

He also added 20 "M" Bobbins and 20 #16 Needles to my order.

I originally had a Gracie Pinnacle Frame which I used with my Juke TL98Q however, due to the weight of the longarm machines and their high-speed quilting, I felt the frame would not be suitable to handle an 18" Longarm.

As far as using a wooden frame, I would think that the speed vibrations of a Longarm 18" and over, may not be condusive to wooden frames.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:06 PM

Go to a large quilt show and try all of them and talk to the people in the booths. Make sure they offer lessons with the machine. Talk to others in your own quilt groups about their longarms. Before you spend big bucks, check e-Bay, Craig's list and other selling websites. After I bought my Statler, I saw one on e-Bay for half what I paid. Love my longarm.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM

I just got a 17" Bailey and have fallen in love with it!
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 PM

the others may be great, but i will say that the wooden frame does not move one inch. it's very, very sturdy and has locking wheels that absolutely lock.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bubblegum0077
I belielve Bailey's is made out of country and I was told that the quality is poor for this machine. Inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.

When I was looking for a machine, I was told that the Janome MC6600 Sewing and Quilting machine can also be put on a contraption to use on a frame. I saw this in a quilt shop when I was in the New Port Richey areas. I can get the name of the shop if you want to inquire about it. The frame goes up to 12'. It was something I was thinking about since I could use the same machine to make my tops, then quilt it once I hooked it up the the frame allowing me to save on buying a second machine. Now if you are going to quilt a lot, then it might pay for you to get a new long arm and frame.

I got my machine in Lake City at Fabric Arts Shop. The owner wasn't aware that my Janome can be put on a frame. Odd.

I guess this site would be one of the best places to ask. Also, call quilt shops and ask the people who use long arms. Some may have old machines, others will have the new fancy stuff. Depends on how much you want to spend.
The Bailey is not made out of the country.. It is basically a stretched Janome machine... Just for the record...
Old 07-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cheryl222
I just got a 17" Bailey and have fallen in love with it!
I am saving for the Bailey 17" so I am glad to hear you love this machine
Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by butterflywing
that's the first time i've seen such info. thanks for the link. it costs $2,000 more than the lizzie and doesn't include the panto shelf and pantos, but is otherwise comparable.
My setup did include the shelf behind the rack for pantos and the laser light pointer for following. But I do have to buy pantos.

Yes the rack is very "industrial" looking. It is made out of aircraft grade aluminum. It does not vibrate at all and is solid as a rock. I only had room in my house for a 10' frame which can quilt up to 108" wide quilt.