Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the best thing you've bought to use or lesson you have learned... >

What is the best thing you've bought to use or lesson you have learned...

What is the best thing you've bought to use or lesson you have learned...

Old 07-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Suz

I have learned to always quilt your label into the quilt so as not to have the label removed.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM

I have learned how to be patient - with those that don't quilt and how to say "no, I can't do that in a weekend"..my favorite tool is the internet!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 PM

I love love love Karen Buckley's scissors. They are very finely searated, so when I do have to cut something precisely, they gently grip the fabric. I also like her circles and bigger circles. They each have a great assortment of sizes and there are 4 of each size so I can do a few at a time. Good tool do make a difference!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Learning to use the rotary cutter correctly! Also this board, always can get great tips!:)
Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 PM

My 1/4 " foot for piecing, and my open-toe foot for applique.
And to "press as I go."
Old 07-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Power Poster

A quilt can be made with very basic sewing supplies but that's no fun for me. I want the new tools and gadgets, specialty rulers, and all the fluff, so I buy them. I enjoy all my new quilting tool I've purchased. I guess my Go would be at the top of the list as best I've bought in the last few years. The new batting scissors is my newest best tool I've bought. My best newest tip is to use the Wonder Double Sided 1/4" water soluble tape to match seams on my blocks before sewing.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Power Poster

Like many others my rotary cutter.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:54 PM

Several years ago I bought a walking foot and 1/4 inch seam foot for my Brother 120E (a very basic machine) but both feet sat in the drawer with other gadgets for 2 years until I forced myself to use them. I can't believe how much they simplified my quilting life!!! No longer forcing fabric through the machine -- the walking foot just chugs along dealing with everything -- I love it, and the 1/4inch, but still make mistakes with that. I've just searched ebay for the magnetic seam guide someone mentioned earlier -- might give that a try too.
cheers
Old 07-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by rob529
I forget who mentioned it first, but Elmer's glue is my new best friend.

How so?
Robin in TX
You can use Elmer's School Glue to hold fabric temporarily while you sew it, just use a tiny drop and heat set with your iron. Sharon Schambers shows on her free videos how to use it when putting binding on. Some people also use it to match seams instead of using pins. The school glue is a starch product, so it washes out when you wash the quilt.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Originally Posted by rob529
I forget who mentioned it first, but Elmer's glue is my new best friend.

How so?
Robin in TX
You can use Elmer's School Glue to hold fabric temporarily while you sew it, just use a tiny drop and heat set with your iron. Sharon Schambers shows on her free videos how to use it when putting binding on. Some people also use it to match seams instead of using pins. The school glue is a starch product, so it washes out when you wash the quilt.
Elmer'sGlue has to be my next most used item in the sewing room. Its so simple and so easy and works better than any pin I could use. It was the best lesson I ever learned. But the great thing about this craft is that it changes constantly. Although the blocks pretty much stay the same through the years the techniques are always evolving. =) Some for the better and some not..but its great that people do things that make each their own. And its such an emotional craft. I couldn't imagine my life without it. =)