Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lesson Learned: When you see it, buy it!

Lesson Learned: When you see it, buy it!

And I know this! I was looking at a piece from Robert Kaufman's La Scala 4 line at fabric.com over the weekend. I saw it at a LQS last week for $12.13 a yard. It was on sale at fabric.com for $8.38 a yard plus I would 15% off (thanks to those who told me about the THX113 coupon). There were 6 yards Saturday night and I kept dithering, do I REALLY need to buy more fabric? How much should I get if I do buy some? Well Sunday afternoon, my husband says why not buy all 6 yards? So I ran to the computer to do so, and it's sold out! Lesson learned the hard way. I really love the piece (green floral metallic gold jewel) and unfortunately will probably break down and buy someplace and pay more for it than I would have had to. So if you see a fabric you really like, buy it right then!
    Heather

Yep, that's what I do. I never regret buying fabric.

Then you have the opposite, you love it, buy it and then 2 days later another store has it for 50% off. I've had that problem also. So either way, you'll get some sort of buyers remorse-not about buying the fabric just how much you paid for it.

Power Poster
    Darn I hate that!

Oh ...I love that line of Fabric. I too have done what you did and regreted.. but have also hit the confirm order button too soon. Well if one thing is for sure now you really really want that fabric.

Oh boy, I have done the same thing. So Sorry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Raggiemom View Post
    And I know this! I was looking at a piece from Robert Kaufman's La Scala 4 line at fabric.com over the weekend. I saw it at a LQS last week for $12.13 a yard. It was on sale at fabric.com for $8.38 a yard plus I would 15% off (thanks to those who told me about the THX113 coupon). There were 6 yards Saturday night and I kept dithering, do I REALLY need to buy more fabric? How much should I get if I do buy some? Well Sunday afternoon, my husband says why not buy all 6 yards? So I ran to the computer to do so, and it's sold out! Lesson learned the hard way. I really love the piece (green floral metallic gold jewel) and unfortunately will probably break down and buy someplace and pay more for it than I would have had to. So if you see a fabric you really like, buy it right then!
    been there, done that!
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

OMG i just looked at that fabric line and it had my name on every piece when staring at them....lol

Sorry you have missed ):
    Faten
    Www.easyquiltingcorner.com

Work like you don't need the money
    Love like you have never been hurt

Check through FabShopHop.com search feature & see if it's available through another shop. Especially since they just had their blow out sale over the weekend, you might find what you need from one of the shops on there. I just did the same kind of dithering, should I get this, or do I really need it & talked myself out of getting some fabric, too. Good luck with your search!

Beautiful line! If it's any consolation, there are other sites offering sale prices on the line...(not as good as the one you saw, but still less than retail). Sorry you missed a good sale!

Blog Entries
    I have done the same thing!! Makes me so heartsick when it happens. I hope you can find the same fabric at a great price soon.
    Sherri

I agree and buy enough! Had bought material for border and also backing and thought I had enough for binding. There was a yard left on bolt but didn't get it. Wound up short for binding so went back to get last yard. They had made it into fat quarters so had to do a lot of piecing.
    Wayne & Gabriele, the married quilters.

I so totally agree. I have had this happen to me too, and it is a real heartbreaker if you can't find it again later.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

It is worse to not buy it whan you can and then want it later. I looked EVERYWHERE for the background fabric to match my Lakehouse print. Finally found it in a single shop in Calgary, Canada. I don't want to say how much those 3 yards cost me.

you are absolutely right! I've done that with fabric and lots of other bargains! I was shopping for my brothers se 400 on walmart, ebay, amazon etc. The machine was about $369. Walmart marked it down for $309; I played around hoping they would mark down even lower; the next day I purchased the machine from walmart for $309 (free shipping to store); other websites dropped their prices to about $320. The day after my purchase walmart increased the price to $399 and that is what the machine has been and still is today! I am a witness; buy it when you see it because you may not see it again or if you do chances are it will not be the same price!

Blog Entries
    Check www.thousandsofbolts.com...they have Robert Kaufman La Scala...it doesn't say "4" but may be what you want and it is less than $5 a yard!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I've learned this the hard way. Sad thing is, it just doesn't apply to fabric. I've decided if I see something and just fall totally in love with it, I get it right then. Don't overthink and come back tomorrow. It might be gone or tomorrow might never come.

I learned that lesson with life. The PBR bull riders sign autographs after the event. I was getting the autographs, and another fan started talking to me. I missed the autograph of Glenn Keeley. I said, "Oh well, I'll get it in Las Vegas (at the finals)"....He was killed bull riding between the Tampa event and the Las Vegas event. Now I don't wait!

I never regret it when I buy fabric that really speaks to me. I ALWAYS regret it when I don't! I've had to learn the lesson too. I still am. I must be a slow learner.
    “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.” ~Scott Adams

Piecefully,
    Lisa

Sorry you lost out on the fabric.
    Quilt outside of the box!

And that's why we all have more stash than we'll ever use!

Blog Entries

Wink

I have done this many times and end up kicking myself!!!!
    A quilt is a blanket of love. Sharon

I can soo relate to this. Fabric.com had 44 yards of a fabric that I wanted 7 yards of. They had had it for a long time. I was ordering several other must haves, backing and such to finish projects already in mind and thought, I will order later. When I came back a mere hours later, it was GONE. Someone must have bought it all, not that I blame them. It is beautiful and although I have nearly finished one quilt with this fabric, I was planning at least one more. Ordered some of one fabric to determine if it was a match for another project, it was, and now there is no more. And on and on it goes....

Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. There was a feather weight machine at my local Bernina for $200 and I didn't get it at the time. So when I got home I decided I wanted it and called them back but it was gone. The owners are friends of mine so I should have listened when they were telling me what a good deal it was. It had all the bells and whistles.

Or this situation...you drive way across town to fabric store and find out you left your coupons and fabric punch card at home.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast