Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What causes bobbin thread to jam up? >

What causes bobbin thread to jam up?

What causes bobbin thread to jam up?

Old 08-17-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by *QuilterWannabee*
I have to laugh at myself, every time I can't figure a problem out, I go right to, "Darn it, I am just going to buy a NEW sewing machine." Isn't that awful?
You're a better person than me - I go right into wanting to look for a hammer to pound it! :evil: I don't have a lot of patience for when it doesn't work right! lol!!!
:D :D
Old 08-17-2009, 07:25 PM

Ok, Diana - I must confess...I NEVER just say "darn it!..." :evil:
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm glad that you mentioned the Genie...I have worked with this machine in the past....there isn't a lot of room under the pressure foot on this machine.....Is it possible that you forgot to put the pressure foot down, due to the fact that it was snug under the foot???
If the pressure foot isn't down, the tension is not engaged and creates lots of birds nest....Can you tell that I have done this :oops: :oops:
Old 08-18-2009, 05:37 AM

There is a class of singer machines that were not made to sew thick fabric. I have a 347 and read up on this one it said don't sew denim or heavy fabric light sewing only...i guess that's why it was a designer series

My newer machine does that if you miss a eye while threading.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 AM

geez, I hope I didn't do that, but anything is possible! One time I was wondering why it wasn't sewing and realized I didn't turn it on, duh. I guess we all have these moments. Agree, there is not much room!
Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
I'm glad that you mentioned the Genie...I have worked with this machine in the past....there isn't a lot of room under the pressure foot on this machine.....Is it possible that you forgot to put the pressure foot down, due to the fact that it was snug under the foot???
If the pressure foot isn't down, the tension is not engaged and creates lots of birds nest....Can you tell that I have done this :oops: :oops:
Old 08-18-2009, 06:44 AM

We have all gone through these obstinate occurances with our machines: bobbin wound wrong, presser foot down so thread is not in disks, lint behind the bobbin case, and yes, not turned on. The three items that have eliminated a lot of frustration for me are: put in a new needle, check to see if the thread is in the last loop just above the needle and always pull thread out a few inches before sewing, even on the computer machines. As my son, the engineer, says, "Mom, remember your working on an inanimate object. Think of it as a puzzle." Let us know how you're doing.
Mary Ellen
FL
Old 08-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

I bought a package of Bobbin Genies and they really work. I haven't had a bird nest at all. They prevent static which causes backlash in the bobbin. Also Fil Tec makes commerical prefilled bobbins with a tiny magnetic core that keeps the bobbin perfectly in place. Now they make them for home machines. They work great for machine quilting, no backlash at all. Not for drop in bobbins though.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Evil trolls from Hell. My embroidery machine is so picky. Bobbin must be wound almost perfect. I really don't know. Sometimes I change the needle if all else fails. Clean out the case & hole & make sure no gunk or fuss is in there. Couldn't live without canned air. When all else fails use a new bobbin freshly wound.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 AM

Are your feed dogs all gunked up with lint? I had that problem once and once was enough.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Many times the problem with bobbin thread jamming/bunching up is that you need to bring up your bobbin thread to the top of your fabric when you start sewing.
Good luck
db