Featherweight Bobbin Jam

Old 08-24-2015, 06:52 AM

Default Featherweight Bobbin Jam

I have a thread jammed into the bobbin area of my Featherweight. I can't get the thread out and can't get that piece out and am afraid to force it out for fear that I'll break it. Any suggestions and advice for me? TIA!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528602[/ATTACH]
As seen from above:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]528603[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_6753.jpg   img_6752.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

I would clamp the thread in my sewing hemostats and pull gently as I turn the hand wheel slightly back and forth. If you can't pull it out whole, maybe some one can help further, good luck.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:32 AM

I'd probably do as Tartan suggests. I have a pair of old eyebrow tweezers that I use for these purposes. Also a long serger tweezer for those spots that are a bit trickier to get into. I would think by rotating the handwheel while pulling it should come out fairly easily.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:00 AM

Just tried again and only succeeded in breaking the thread off and pricking my thumb and making it bleed. I went to Nova Montgomery's page and tried to see what I could get from there, but she talks about kerosene and pulling on the thread. Now I've broken the thread off, so I can't try what she's recommending. I tried to take out that tiny little screw at the bottom to see if I could remove any of the metal pieces but was not able to and am worried about messing up the slot where the screwdriver goes.

I'm a little nervous about taking it in to the local repair person because I worry it really needs someone who specializes in Featherweights and old machines. Worried about my 'baby,'
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 PM

It looks to me like there are several wraps around the part just below the thread tail came out. By enlarging the picture I saw it. So see if you can catch a piece of that thread and work it gently to se if you can get it to move. Pull gently with your tweezers and rock the hand wheel back and forth. Hope this makes sense. You may need to step away from the machine for a while first, because it is frustrating when you've got a jam. Get some good light. Don't panic. Breathe...

When I have a problem I always tell myself, "come on, you can do this, it's only a sewing machine. You can do this" .

Carolyn
Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Power Poster

Look on YouTube for a video on the bobbin assembly to see if you want to attempt taking it apart or find a professional.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:50 PM

Something like this happened to my FW recently. Maybe a drop of oil...and that 'finger" that is part of the post that holds the bobbin case- when you took off the throat plate, that part will rotate. I found my little piece of thread by rotating that ..hemostat/tweezers and turn the hand wheel back and forth gently while holding the thread taut.

When you get it out, that "finger" has to go back into the space on the underside of the throat plate. (ask me how i know!) Deep breath...and maybe turn the machine so you can really see under there. Sewing machines are pretty much the same. Any Singer dealer can service your FW...I take mine to my Bernina dealer! Hang in there!
Old 08-24-2015, 01:07 PM

See that little screw on the bottom? take it out and the whole piece drops down JUST A LITTLE BIT. Then I hope you can get the thread out. I JUST hope this is right. If you can't get the screw out, put a drop of oil on it and let it sit for a while, 1hr. Also, take the foot off the foot feed. It will injure it.

Last edited by barny; 08-24-2015 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:50 PM

I think when that screw comes out, the piece comes down on a diagonal. Well, forgive me, I think I am wrong. Where is Joe or Rodney, Or Macy, Miriam, Caroline, someone! Cari!

Last edited by barny; 08-24-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:40 PM

Koil's gun oil should help with screw. Just don't get any the black finish if your machine. Prop the machine up on end, put on drop of gun oil and leave it for an hour. It's worth doing because there is probably lint packed up in there if that machine is like her big sister, the 301.