Featherweight Bobbin Jam

Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Where is Joe or Rodney, Or Macy, Miriam, Caroline, someone! Cari!
I'm here - good advice so far - you really don't need me to chime in.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:38 AM

http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...MachineJam.php
Old 08-25-2015, 03:45 AM

Thanks, everyone, you guys are great!!! I won't have time to work on it today. Probably a good thing. LOL I'll let you know what happens when I can get back to it. I definitely need to take a little break from it and I never work on it when I have a time limit.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:57 AM

When I get a thread jam like this, I use a tiny screwdriver such as those used for replacing screws in glasses that I keep in my machine case, and also a small plastic medicine measuring cup to put the screw in. DON'T lose the tiny gib screw. I also put a white or light colored towel under my machine so I can see the screw if I drop it. When you take the screw out and pull the arm back work gently so you don't break the arm. Sometimes it can be a "bugger" to get it all lined backup just right but take you time and you can do it. Be sure the little hook/finger lines up in the throat plate area when you are through or it won't turn. Go to the site the featherweight factory that was posted on page 2 of this thread and follow the directions there. You might want to print out those 7 pages to follow and keep for future reference those are great pictures showing you exactly what to do.

Last edited by Gerbie; 08-25-2015 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 AM

Unfortunately no help here....but just a comment. This exact situation several times on different featherweights is what has turned me off of them. I realize that I'm probably one of a few because most featherweight owners love their machines. However, I do much better with top loading bobbins. Have 4 featherweights including a 222k but never use them.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:54 AM

Our FW came to us with a thread jam. Probably why we could afford the cost. I fixed it and we haven't had the problem since. Thread jams are caused by improper use of the machine. Read the manual, follow it. Read Miriam's comments in her thread on the subject.

FWs and 301s need not suffer from thread jams if you use them properly.

Joe
Old 08-25-2015, 06:04 AM

I should mention one of my sanity saving tips:

Before you start this, stand the machine on its handwheel so that everything you're working on is horizontal. This helps manage that gib screw when it decides to misbehave and go wandering.

In theory, it shouldn't end up much farther away than this - I didn't see it land so I still spent 20 minutes looking for it on the floor before I saw it though.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528731[/ATTACH]

p.s. - in some of the FW owner's manuals this procedure is described. The other thing is that this is relatively easy to avoid by holding the tails when you start to sew. It's the number one reason it happens. Leader and Enders might help resolve it to. It was a FW that taught me the hold the tails habit.
Attached Thumbnails img_3291.jpg  
Old 08-25-2015, 08:34 AM

I have a very old crochet hook with a tiny hook on the end that I use for this very purpose. With oil, plenty of light and considerable patience, you can eventually tease the thread out of it. Featherweights are notorious for this. That is why I prefer a 301, as it is not as finicky as my FW. You will eventually prevail and this will empower you to try more things in the future.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Another cause of thread jams in Featherweights and 301s is the operator turning the hand wheel backwards. When starting a seam, make sure you hold your threads.
Sharon in Texas
Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 AM

I had this happen too. Locks the whole machine up. My sewing guy fixed it for me without a charge. Happened because I threaded it wrong and tried to sew with it.
Good Luck!