Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What did you learn today in Quilting? >

What did you learn today in Quilting?

What did you learn today in Quilting?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gal
What did I learn im quilting today?......That hand quilting is dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I drove a two hour round trip to the city today to a new quilting shop which I have just discovered, to be informed they did not stock hand quilting thread!.... I was amazed! No call for it these days the lady behind the counter said, not enough people hand quilt to warrent stocking it!
Am I in the minority then? Guess I must be!

Yes, I know I could have phoned on ahead ........but I had to check out their fabrics didn't I?
I can't believe this! I also hand quilt and love it. My shop carries all the thread you could want for hand quilting.
Gal
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM

It does take a long time to make a GFG. But look at what you have when you finish! And your family will treasure it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM

Debo, it's sad when a shop doesn't cater to all type of quilters. Believe me there are still hand piecers and quilters. I think we sort of lurk in the back ground. I belong to a BOM at our local quilt shop and occasionally get called to come to the shop to show someone what hand piecing and quilting LOOKS like. I am the only one that is hand piecing the BOM. I am not concerned in how fast I turn out quilts but how relaxing the process is. Its not like I am in a race to see how many quilts I can make. And if you are making quilts to use to keep warm machine piecing and quilting make more sense.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mabel from Kansas
Debo, it's sad when a shop doesn't cater to all type of quilters. Believe me there are still hand piecers and quilters. I think we sort of lurk in the back ground. I belong to a BOM at our local quilt shop and occasionally get called to come to the shop to show someone what hand piecing and quilting LOOKS like. I am the only one that is hand piecing the BOM. I am not concerned in how fast I turn out quilts but how relaxing the process is. Its not like I am in a race to see how many quilts I can make. And if you are making quilts to use to keep warm machine piecing and quilting make more sense.
Mabel,
I agree with you totally. There is something very theraputic and healing about hand quilting but it also has to be something a person wants to do. Some honestly can't fathom our wanting to hand quilt. I honestly can't afford to be a machine quilter as it's too costly for supplies. These ladies turn out those quilts amazingly fast which is nice. When it takes me 1 - 4 years to finish a bed quilt, I've really gotten my money's worth out of that fabric and supplies. My heart aches though for the ladies who tell me their families have said "no more quilts Mom/Grandma, we have enough already." My family is thrilled to get a new one and it's because I can't turn them out so quickly. I could see where they'd get annoyed if I bombarded them with quilts. We are so lucky to live in a time where we have choices on what we want to do to fill our time and such a variety of equipment to use to make it faster and easier.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:50 PM

We have 4 quilt shops in our area. Each sort of leans to different fabrics. One is more children prints another is Orentals , another is small flower prints and solids. Its great because we know which shop to head to for what type of prints ya want. We have two other big stores but it seems their quilting fabrics aren't the quality they used to be.